What do you think of pocket trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rick Chartrand, Oct 29, 2005.

1. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I picked up a Jan Batiste a year ago - new for $179 through Sam Ash.

I had to keep sending them back because of the horrible valves... the 3rd go around was the charm.... well... it still stunk... but I was not purchasing it for it's playing qualities.

The horn does not play well... but serves me well when I travel. I often pull it out while on flights and practice finger exercises. I even took it to Brazil with me in September and practiced while on vacation.

It's one of those horns that you just don't worry about.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I bought one from Reyburn. It's a Max. It plays OK but I would never play a job on it unless it was a novelty thing. I think I got burned a little on the price.

I asked once on here or maybe TH and I was told it is worth what I paid for it.

3. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    I,ll tell ya this much.
    Mine has a very big crisp sound and the valves work very well.
    It,s free-blowing,it can play dark and bright.
    I also love the travel size.
    You can take it anywhere!
    If you buy one check it out first.
    I got mine on ebay for $120.00

4. Soarlips

Soarlips New Friend

Nov 24, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    If you're looking for something cute and small to travel with (and perhaps have a little novelty value, too) why not the student Yammie shepherd's crook cornet. Small, pretty open blow, and even sounds kind of musical.
    KP

5. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    In pretty much all of the reviews I've read,peoplehave said that the top space E plays pretty flat. That's the only thing that I'd be concerned about when buying one.

6. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    I picked up a 'quality' Tristar Pocket on eBay for .... 99 cents ... Yes, shipping was $20 but it was still fun. It was in Toronto for a 'trade show' so I assumed that it would have to be at least playable if they had it on demo. Turns out to not be a horrible horn, certainly not great in any way but what do you expect for $.99??

They advertise like this
    Insist on a "TRISTAR" music instrument and buy peace of mind!
    and
    SAY NO TO UNBRANDED JUNK! BUY AN ORIGINAL TRISTAR!

7. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    :lol:

They're trying to take advantage of the people who don't know a lot about trumpet brands. It's upsetting but funny at the same time.

8. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    While I'm thinking about it, I am reminded about a quetsion Nick Drozdoff posed me a LONG time ago. He was curious about a pocket that had a bell more like what we are used to, flared, not truncated (I believe is the word).

I believe Henry Distin, a turn-of-the-century builder of much repute, built a few pocket instruments that possessed flared bells...

I remember seeing a pic of an old Distin pocket that had a normal bell, but I cant remember EVERYTHING, so I dont completely trust this recollection.

....But I am slightly rambling.

Anyone know of any normal-bell pockets?

Van

9. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Van,

I believe there are quite a few big names that still make pocket trpts with regular size bells. Kanstul may be one of them.

Heck, I think Kanstul will make you a pocket trumpet with a trombone bell if you want one... :lol: :lol:

10. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    The only pocket I ever played was, in fact, a Kanstul. VERY neat horn, with those great Kanstul valves, but I that truncated bell gave the sound a quality I didnt like...

Maybe someone has a pic of a newer pocket trumpet with a regular flared bell?

Van