What do you think of this horn for this price? (LA Benge for $599)

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Midlife Cornet Crisis, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Midlife Cornet Crisis

Midlife Cornet Crisis Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2014
    USA
  2. kthazardsr

kthazardsr New Friend

Jan 1, 2011
    Tennessee
    Buyer beware. Always best to play before you buy. Impossible to say without seeing and play testing in person. Yes, IF that trumpet was in very good shape, it should be higher priced. That said, one could only assume this one probably has issues like: needs a valve job, the lead pipe is probably suspect with corrosion and that bell looks rough. Hard to tell though only looking at pictures. It may be a diamond in the rough. I have a 1974 LA Benge and while it isn't perfect, it plays great.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Looks ok to me, but the proof's in the playing.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Also looks OK to me. If the valves aren't shot it's probably a player. The price seems right to me. Read the "What to expect..." and it seems like they will stand behind your purchase.

5. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    I'm a sucker for Benges, so I'd say it's a good deal. As long as the valves aren't shot, probably a good buy.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Why not ask them for a picture of the valve innards? If they are ok, it's probably a good buy. I've got one myself - and it was the one trumpet I chose to play "Amazing Grace" on for my mother's funeral. I think that says everything.

7. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    It clearly looked OK to somebody, as it seems to be sold now. Likely it was a good deal. Benges are mighty fine horns.

I would have used mine at my mother's funeral, but I can't transpose so I used my not-nearly-as-good C trumpet. (Was playing with my wife on oboe.) I have since acquired a Benge C.

8. Midlife Cornet Crisis

Midlife Cornet Crisis Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2014
    USA
    I actually went to the store to check it out -- and it was out for cleaning/repair. I figured it was fate -- I wasn't meant to have the horn. Either someone already bought it VERY quickly after it came back, or perhaps it needed something more extensive? I don't know.

9. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Or, the shop itself bought it, or somebody who worked there! It probably was a pretty good deal...

10. ATrumpetDude

ATrumpetDude Piano User

Sep 15, 2015
    I've had 3 transactions from music go-round.
    1st time horn was not packed properly and bell was damaged in shipping (they did refund and pay for shipping but it was a nice horn and a real shame)
    2nd transaction went smoothly
    3rd transaction I bought and paid for the horn and corresponded with them on the shipping time frame, then I was inexplicably refunded a couple days later. When I inquired I was told the horn had been sold to someone else.
    So I am 1 for 3 with them.