What do you think of this mp?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by orchestra_trumpet_star, Nov 3, 2005.

1. orchestra_trumpet_star

orchestra_trumpet_star New Friend

Nov 3, 2005
    hey all,
    i am new to the forum and am very excited to be apart of this great site...
    so i am a student-mostly orchestral player with some experience (from what I hear, a very high level for my age). I was reading up on new mouthpieces and am very interested in the bach screw rims. I currently play the yamaha 16C4-GP and like it but I feel that it is a little small now for my lips. I was wanting to piece together a 1X screw on rim with a 1 1/2B underpart (good idea or is a 1B better) with a schmidt style backbore (what number is this?), and a pretty open throat. I am not the biggest of guys yet and still have some growth in me. What size throat is a good idea (only 15 yrs old 5'9.5ish)? Thanks everyone!

PS I know it might sound crazy that I am wanting to go larger given my age and size, but I feel like it is worth a try...
    PPS Let me know if you need any more info to decide whether I am about to kill myself or if it is a good/safe idea...

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    the mouthpiece that you want will take a while to get. I would suggest that you try out a 1X or a 1C first, before going to the different underparts. Get acclimated to the rim to see if you like it. Ordering a custom piece through Bach will take anywhere from 6 to 9 months, so you would have time. Alternately, you can cut the rim off of the mouthpieces and have them pieced together (1x with the B underpart and opened throat and backbore). Incidentally, that option is probably cheaper too.

3. orchestra_trumpet_star

Nov 3, 2005
    i hear dillon music can do it within a week or so (?)... it would be interesting though...if i were to be able to do what # throat... 22 too big? 26 too small? and what number is tha schmidt backbore for bach?

the main reason that I am going through this is that my lips feel too big for the 16C4-GP...i have pretty big lips which is why i think the 1X would be nice... I also want to keep my darker sound (or even make it darker/warmer) which is why i was thinking 1 1/2B or 1B...which would be better...?

thanks again!

4. fundenlight

fundenlight New Friend

Aug 2, 2005
    I really don't want to make this an arguement, but not everyone plays on a bigger mouthpiece because of Herseth. Personally, I have never really enjoyed his playing. I have always thought of it as being the epitome of old school brass playing, something which he should be respected for, but his sound and playing does not come across as being very vocal. Bigger mouthpieces simply help you achieve a different sound, and the larger backbores change the shape that the sound comes out at. I currently use what might as well be described as Bob Reeves attempt at modifying a Monette B2. It's not quite a 1C, but it does have a larger backbore and throat than standard Bach's. Ultimately, try out the mouthpice for awhile. Get many different opinions on the sound from people you respect for their sound concept be it a teacher or peer, or my preference, from good vocalists. Also, record yourself on the new and old pieces and compare. This will allow you to really hear what things sound like on the "other side" of the bell.

5. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    I'd say to avoid the screw rims for now. As previously mentioned, they are expensive and take a long time to order. Custom jobs are an option, but if it doesn't work out you could easily have a $100-150 paperweight on your hands.

These days there are plenty of options out there in standard production mouthpieces that would be just what you're looking for. Try a Schilke Symphony M1, or a Laskey 80B or 80MD.

JU

6. orchestra_trumpet_star

Nov 3, 2005
    is it ok to experiment or is it a bad idea? What is the difference between the 1.5B and the 1B underpart? Would the 1.5B even fit on the 1X rim? Also, what is a good throat size. Standard is like a 27. Is the 26 a big difference or is going larger better with the 1X rim, 1.5B/1B underpart and a larger backbore. What is the difference between a schmidt and the next largest size backbore? Thanks for all your reples...

7. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    The only way to determine what size throat you need is to buy an mp and have it opened up. Buy a 1C or whatever and have the guy open it up 1 size at a time (27, 26, 25, etc...). You will figure out which you like. As to the differences between the B cups and the backbores go to Kanstul's comparer.