What do you think?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by isue4you3, Jan 4, 2010.

1. isue4you3

isue4you3 New Friend

Dec 29, 2009
    California
    Hey guys, my name is Greg Ah Sue and I'm from California. I do what's called "multitracks" this is done by playing all the parts to a song over each other while taking a video of me doing it. Then overlapping them all on top of each other.

(I also pitch the things that a trumpet can't play down an octave)

Here is Stan Kenton's version of "Send In The Clowns"

Let me know what you guys think!

YouTube- Send In The Clowns - Stan Kenton - A Trumpet Multitrack in HD

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    B15M likes this.
  2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Very nice!

Let's here some more.

I like your sound.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It sounds like midi instruments, not a real trumpet.

If you were really playing, something else is wrong with the recording. The arrangement sounds like fun.

4. isue4you3

isue4you3 New Friend

Dec 29, 2009
    California
    I assure you it's real, I have tons of videos up like it. I posted this asking for comments and suggestions about my playing/transcribing...not the validity of the video.

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I think that your trumpet solo was great (that arrangement is just a bit slow for me but that's personal preference). The background tracks didn't quite fit for me. But, the effort to put the tracks together seems to be done skillfully. This is a difficult thing to do effectively so keep going. Let us see some more.

6. isue4you3

isue4you3 New Friend

Dec 29, 2009
    California
    Thanks for the feedback!!! (exactly what I'm looking for!)

I tried to transcribe what I heard on the album but you are the second person who didn't like the backgrounds so I must have messed up somewhere.

Thank you for your time!

7. azhiba

azhiba New Friend

Aug 25, 2009
    Not my cup of tea, but you are definitely a skilled trumpeter (-:

8. isue4you3

isue4you3 New Friend

Dec 29, 2009
    California
    Thank you Azhiba!

Does anybody have any suggestions on balancing? Are there some points somebody can give me when trying to mix a big band?

9. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    hmm... I like the solo alot... maybe more dynamic contrast on the solo, and the backgrounds. Phrasing. yes. im thinking thats the issue. that the back grounds could be livlier, getting soft and then getting loud as the solo raises in range. very neat idea. the chords seem to be pretty well in line, so the only imaginable thing is that maybe... each version of you could play with a little more... life. add phrasing and life to it and you'd have a really excellent piece going. thanks for the upload man.

10. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    If you're overdubbing a lot, I would recommend to take different trumpets, or mpcs or detune a little bit and/or equalizing each track a bit diffenrent. Otherwise it will sound like a synthesizer. A real trumpetsection doesn't have 4/5 persons who all sound alike.