What do you think?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by isue4you3, Jan 4, 2010.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    hmm... quite honestly, i listened to some of your other tracks, and they did sound very midi like. Im not worried about that at all, except that, if it is a midi, i think that if you played the parts for real? it would be just fantastic, but it just sounds to robotic. like... Ive honestly never heard someone play that mechanically, but? if thats really how you play... more power to you man. its definitely a unique sound.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I already had checked your other stuff out. All of the upper register stuff sounds like midi, not a trumpet. Your vibrato from the lower register disappears, the cut offs of the high notes are not natural sounding.

The only one that sounds "real" (compared to your other "moderate" range stuff) is the Tower of Power clip. If it is really you playing in that octave on the rest, you need to do what you did with "Your still a young man".

Your idea is fun, the arrangements are OK and the mix is artificial as there is no real "space". A trumpet is generally designed to be heard at a distance. Studio productions (my son is a recording engineer) go through great pains to get it right. Compression, equalization and very fine tunable acoustics are needed to camouflage the process. Freeverb or G-Verb are 2 free but reasonably decent sounding reverb VST plug ins that work with Audacity.

If you want some commercial motivation, check out the album "FIRST BRASS" by the group with the same name. 4 top european studio musicians doing exactly what you did, just with a larger investment in hardware. It is worth buying the CD. The liner notes give great insite into the minds of these guys!
    First Brass
    FIRST BRASS

3. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    Nicely done, but what ruins it for me is the way that you breathe half way through a note, but the note carries on, around 0:33...

4. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Your stuff is really cool. I especially like your John Williams tribute. I love the original and the trumpet version just made my day.

5. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Seems as though the video is a little off sync. Seems consistent throughout to me.

Nice work, looks like a lot of fun too!

6. isue4you3

isue4you3 New Friend

Dec 29, 2009
    California
    Yeah the video DOES get off sync.

I am taking all audio through 1 mic and into my computer, I use my computer to mix/overdub the parts. As I do that I have a video camera recording me. After I mix all the parts and get it sounding how I want I get the camera and find the tracks I used, then use Sony Vegas to line the tracks up to my final mix.

Thank you all for watching!

Now I am wondering?! Does anybody here have a way to record themselves? We could do a HUGE collaboration with tons of trumpet players around the world! I could generate a click and we can all record over that. Let me know what you think!

7. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have a degree from ISUE, Indiana State University Evansville. Cool huh?

Speaking of cool, Yep, your sound is great so keep it up. You are doing good.

8. equivariant

equivariant New Friend

May 25, 2009
    Interesting video

A couple of questions. What software do you use to do the mixing on your computer?

Also, what are you listening to when you record the tracks? I'm guessing just a simple click. Maybe you could have something like Band in a box on through headphones to give yourself a more musical metrononome?

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I listened to this and others on You Tube.
    I'm not 100% convinced that it' really you.

The whole idea is very clever. Just the idea that you can play all those arrangements on the trumpet is a major deal.

On some of the arrangements I think I hear trumpet or something playing to low or out of the trumpet range. How did you do that?

Here is the thing that gets me and probably others listening. I have played that Send In The Clowns solo. It is really hard. You look very young to be able to play it so easily. If you can play it with the comfort that you show, you should start playing full time tomorrow.

I'm just guessing, I think you played it down an octave and then electronically pushed it up the octave and then did a lip sink type of thing. Now I'm just guessing, the other side of the coin is that your one hell of a trumpet player. Either way, pretty good stuff.

10. isue4you3

isue4you3 New Friend

Dec 29, 2009
    California
    Hey guys, thanks for watching!

To answer some questions:

Q: What software do you use to do the mixing on your computer?
    A: I use Sony Acid to record all the audio

Q: What are you listening to when you record the tracks
    A: It depends what track I am playing, lets use this particular video for example. First I generated a click, then I recorded the sax parts. I first started recording the lead alto part, then as I listened to the lead I recorded the 2nd alto part. Then as I recording the tenor part I was listening to the 1st and 2nd alto. ETC. After I finish the sax parts I balanced it how I thought the sax section should sound (volume wise) and mixed it down to one sax track. I then did this for trombones and trumpets, after that I had 3 tracks: saxes, bones, and trumpets. I then exported the bass and drum set tracks as midis (from my transcription on Sibelius) and put them in the mix, giving me 5 tracks.
    Once that was all done I recorded the solo part on top.

Q: On some of the arrangements I think I hear trumpet or something playing to low or out of the trumpet range. How did you do that?
    A: Yes, one of the biggest obstacles to recording a trumpet multitrack is the range of the instrument. It gives me a huge disadvantage to the rest of the YouTube multitracking community. To combat this I record the tuba parts or low brass parts up one, or even two octaves as written then use the computer to pitch it down an octave (or two) usually resulting in a fairly characteristic sound! (This is all noted in the YouTube description, no misdirection intended!!)

Q: I'm just guessing, I think you played [the solo part] down an octave and then electronically pushed it up the octave and then did a lip sink type of thing.
    A: That makes sense, people say "If you can pitch things down and be that successful (sound wise), then you must be pitching stuff up!" However pitching down is NOTHING like pitching up, it results in a trumpet on helium sound. As an example I ask you download Audacity (great free recording/multitracking tool) then take your trumpet and record your G scale. Then using Audacity pitch it down an octave and give it a listen, it will sound ok but a little weird. Then pitch it down one MORE octave, it will suddenly sound remarkably like a tuba! (as much as a virtual tuba can) Now delete that and record another G scale then pitch it up one octave, it sounds NOTHING like a real trumpet. I don't know why this is but pitching up just doesn't work the same as pitching down.

Q: If you can play [the solo] with the comfort that you show, you should start playing full time tomorrow.
    A: Why don't you tell that to the rest of the world!!!

Here is the thing, I know YouTube has TONS of fake stuff out there and there are tons of young kids that are just messing around. I am a 19 1/2 year old trumpet performance major who takes playing VERY serious. I have studied with GREAT players since middle school and want to be a professional player. I consider myself a very strong, musical, all around player. What you see in this video is not just me picking up my horn and playing. It's months of hard work! I spent months working up the solo and weeks recording different takes. I guess I do look pretty "comfortable" during it, that is because I now use a "very little pressure" technique resulting in a more relaxed face. I assure you that it is not easy for me! The solo part took weeks and weeks of recording over and over and over again. (and every time I wanted to try I had to set up the recording equipment and change my clothes)

I want to thank everyone for watching this, I REALLY appreciate some of the responses and tips. For those of you who don't believe that I'm playing I don't blame you! It's hard to sift through the BS but there is nothing else I can do to convince you of my authenticity.

Thanks for your time!
    -Greg Ah Sue

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010