What does bite on the rim mean?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Mar 15, 2015.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Does bite on the rim mean when you put the mouthpiece to your lips you are locked into the perfect setting? If this is the case I'm still searching for the perfect one for me.

2. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    I'm not really getting your question. Could you try to rephrase it? I would love to help.

3. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    When I play in a section I'm always the first to put the trumpet to my lips searching for the right placement, while others just put their horns up and are ready to play.

4. Alrocks

Alrocks New Friend

Jan 22, 2015
    Devon, UK
    "Bite on the rim" sounds like a very painful injury :lol:

5. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Bite refers to the inner edge of the rim and how sharp or soft it is. If you play a 3C and you are 'searching for your grip' than you may want a softer bite, you don't want to rely on the bite to give you a grip, but your embouchure strength. You could try a Warburton 4mc or 4m - Well there's too many variables to say, not knowing you as a player - If you are fairly advanced, a great way to find your grip and build overall embouchure strength is to take 1-12 Arban's Characteristic studies and see how many you can do back to back in 1/2hr. All the best, Lex

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've said it elsewhere, but I'll reiterate: the instant your mouthpiece touches your lips, your embouchure should be set ready to play. To this I'll add: ... whatever the first note is. It's just something you'll have to learn to do, and I hope you've a private teacher that can and will teach you how.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well, bite to me is something else. Yes, it can describe the "sharpness" of the inner/outer rim, BUT I think it refers more to the mouthpiece inhibiting lip motion. If we take a mouthpiece known for bite like a Bach 7C, we see that the stock mouthpiece allows for a very clear sound, moderate flexibility but very predictable endurance. We now gold plate that 7C, all of a sudden, the rim does not feel sharp anymore,

I think that most people that refer to bite have no context for the question or any answers. It is not a parameter that turns around someones playing. I teach hardware independence. If our body, breathing and chops are working, the mouthpiece must only be chosen for "comfortable" - which is different for everyone of us.

8. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Thanks rowuk, that answers my question.

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Might break a tooth..

10. ♠♥CORNET♣♦

♠♥CORNET♣♦ Pianissimo User

Oct 18, 2014