What does heavier valve caps do ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Laursen, Feb 18, 2010.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Adding a heavy brass cap doesn't dampen or absorb vibrations from the valve cylinder, it prevents them. It does this because adding the brass cap increases the acoustic impedance of the cylinder. Therefore, less energy is lost from the standing wave to the casing and goes out the bell instead.

This is also why holding the horn, wrapping it in foam or other soft material will not improve its efficiency, because your hand or other soft material has a low acoustic impedance and simply allows the acoustic energy to disperse through it, rather than reflect it back to its source like brass does.

2. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hey, Markie!

It's not the questioning but the tone of the questioning, and the manipulation of what I said to what you appear to have wanted me to say.

I tested other people's horns with and without their valve caps, and wasn't able to discern any improvement at either my end, or their end of the horn.

I believe that since you're trying to convince me and others that these devices make a difference that the onus is on you to demonstrate this in positive terms.

Isn't it odd that of the major brands, none of them provide heavy valve caps? I mean Schilke, Bach, Yamaha as standard on their horns? One would think that they, of all others would know if their designs required or even benefited by the caps.

I agree that we shall need to agree to disagree. You use your heavy caps, and I'll use my Yamaha rotaries, and we'll both be happy with what we've got.

Later!!!

Guy

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    That's because the innovative designers of their horns are dead.

Its like saying its odd that Chevy's don't use the same esoteric technology as Porsche!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Well said!

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    guysez:
    I believe that since you're trying to convince me and others that these devices make a difference that the onus is on you to demonstrate this in positive terms.
    -----------
    Really? Do you really think I care what people use?
    Onus on me? No, I don't think so. I'm not the engineer who has knowledge in physics.
    I use heavy caps because I like them. No science, no physics, just my ears.
    Also, I think Bach makes various size heavy caps as does other companies.
    Don't be offended. I'm just questioning your entries.
    If you're going to proport being a engineer with specialized knowledge in physics in the same blog as the effects of heavy caps, then be prepared to have people question your entries and ask serious questions. I guess its the "I'm an engineer" entry huh?
    ---------
    guysez:
    It's not the questioning but the tone of the questioning, and the manipulation of what I said to what you appear to have wanted me to say.
    -----
    Well no, that's the cool part. I didn't have to manipulate anything. However, if I did, let me know where I did and I'll correct it.
    In the mean time I'm going to move on to more interesting topics like:
    1)"Will trumpet playing effect my virginity?"
    2)"Help! occasionally poop myself when playing high notes!"
    3)"My teeth are curving inwards and there's a perminent circle on my lips. Am I using too much pressure?"
    4)And my personal favorite, "I can play up to G on the staff. Can I play double high C in two weeks if I change to (insert type of mouthpiece here)?"

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hmmm...It seems like I've seen this discussion somewhere before... Oh, Yeah, I remember! It used to go like this, "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" ;-)

7. mattc

mattc Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2009
    California
    That depends. Did you put a heavy cap on the bottom of the pin?:D

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Do heavier angels change the sound of any resonance of the pin or is it that they look heavier so we just percieve a difference?

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    It depends on if the angels are virgins and yes the comebackkid did put a heavy cap on that pin. I held the pin and he screwed it on. It doesn't play very well but wow! does it look cool!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  10. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Holy mackerel!

From heavy trumpet valve caps to virgin angels dancing
    on a cool looking pin with threaded heavy caps...

Amazing! Time to bring in the Blue(s) Midgets!