What does heavier valve caps do ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Laursen, Feb 18, 2010.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Angels don't wear caps - surely they have halos. :-? Is there such a thing as a heavy halo? Will a heavy halo change the sound of the trumpet that these angels play do you think? ;-)

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I can't believe that I read this whole thing.

I think that changing the weight of the caps does change the way the trumpet plays. I don't know for better or worse. I'm with Robin that the trumpet has to be made to accept the cap.

I have a 900 series E-flat Monette trumpet. The valve caps are the lighter ones. If it didn't make a difference, why would they put the light ones on there?

There is or was a guy with the Chicago Symphony that was selling magnetic patches that you put on the trumpet to add mass. You put it on and if you don't like it you move it to another spot. I would try that approach before the cap idea.

Someone back about a hundred pages talked about, why doesn't Bach or Schilke or whoever put the heavier caps on if they're better and then someone else posted, because they never invent anything new. That's just crazy. They have a design that works. They don't want to copy or go off in a million different direction loosing site of the core of what they're all about.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I always have much amusement when I read about heavy caps. With a valve block this massive, nothing you do with caps will make a difference (assuming you could get them).

Tom

[​IMG]

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have and have, in front of the horn there is more deviance in the players playing than measurable with or without caps. The efficiency (Q) on certain horns can be measured by the impedance (for the layman: size of the slot - which is not a slot, rather a strong peak). That is why intonation is a REAL issue. The horn lets the player get away with less. My most recent test situation was a headphone driver glued to a mouthpiece. The peaks are very easily measured then.

There are also several interesting combinations: a Schilke 14A4A and heavy caps was a real bear - alot harder to play, but with a Bach 1 1/2C the playability was not worse (but the intonation).

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi B15M
    I think Bach does make heavy caps. Here's an ad I found:
    Bach Trumpet Heavy Bottom Valve Caps
    Precision machined from nickel silver, with twice the mass and twice the weight of standard bottom valve caps, Bach heavy valve caps dampen vibrations. The result is a warmer, more powerful sound that is perfect for the concert hall, studio, and club alike. Set of three.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Has he invented a magnet that is attracted to brass and/or nickel?...:D

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I remember reading about that. They're clip on things, I think. Never seen them, so I don't know for sure.

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    What did you discover?

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    These are the same "magnets" used on Aluminium (Aluminum) - they are essentially alternating current magnets rather the more common direct current beasties. ;-)

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    So, I would need to have a long extension cord plugged in while playing with those attached??:shock: