What does it all mean?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Someone help me out... Maybe I'm losin' it or maybe I expect too much or I dunno...

I am a music major, it is my live, my love, the only thing I wish to do. I would love to play in a horn band (Tower of Power, Blood Sweat & Tears, Earth Wind & Fire, Chicago, ColdBlood, etc.) but realistically, I'm not good enough so I'll prolly end up teaching, which is great also cause I'll get to mold the next generation of great musicians. Now, whenever I get the chance I go to concerts and jam sessions and even stuff I don't really dig, but I give it a chance.

Last nite we had a big band concert and I invited a TON of people. Not a single one showed up. They were all watching the basketball game. It kinda made me sad/mad/dissapointed etc cause these folxs are music majors too. Don't they have that same drive, the same committment? I mean, you can always catch the score to the game l.ater on ESPN or something but you can't relive a concert... grrr...

So what's up? Is this all foolishness that I ought to just say whatever and move on? It was a good concert. We played a trumpet ensemble jazz feautre that Mike Metheny (Pat Metheny's brother) arranged. 5 trpts and full rhythmn, kinda a la Bill Chase stuff. Then we played a really kewl piece from Don Ellis called Strawberry Soup that was really out there with a awesome slow blues show ending closer...

I just want people to be as excited and supportive about music and personal growth and etc as I am... Oh well, I know there are others out there like me. I guess that's why I'm single, I can only talk about music, lol. My social skills are lacking. Peace all. Thanks for lettin' this old kid vent.

2. John Mohan

John Mohan Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2004
    Chicago
    If watching a basketball game was more important to them than music - their potential livelihood - is, then they made the right choice.

If music is truly the number one thing in their lives, then they blew it. It's their loss, not yours.

And as for your career potential, always remember what Herbert L. Clarke wrote:

"What one man can accomplish, so can another."

Hit it hard and wish it well,

John Mohan

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    For what it's worth, I'd have been at the concert. In my opinion, professional sports are WAY over-rated and I don't understand why so many people get as spun up in it as they do. Don't get me wrong, I like to watch a good game as much as the next person, especially if it's a team I'm supposed to have some sort of loyalty to. (Nebraska Cornhuskers, Baltimore Ravens, Baltimore Orioles) However, I don't go out of my way to watch the games. Sometimes I happen to catch them on the tube and if I'm not doing anything else, I might watch. Just as often, I catch the score, then I move on to something else.

I'd have been there for you.

4. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    You gotta take in consideration too that this was game seven of the finals... like "the" game. Me personaly, I hate profesional sports, except baseball, so I would have rather gone to the concert. But I would be willing to bet that if this was just a regular season basket ball game that didn't really mean much, most of you buddys would have been at the concert.

5. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I love pro sports, amateur sports, and any other kind of sports. I also love music and chose to make it my life. I am a TEACHER BY CHOICE and if I had not been a band director I would have been a coach. I coach several school teams, and I love to bring coaches on my band trips as chaperons because they relate well to most of the kids.

Last night I taped the game because I was doing a photo shoot of a U14 girl’s softball team. Earlier in the week I did the same thing because I was doing a shoot of a U10 girls team. I do the shoots to save the kids money -- giving them a first class product for a super discounted price (that way all the kids can afford to buy pictures of themselves and of their team).

I tell you this because different things are important to different people. I remember one year I scheduled the honor band concert on an NFL Playoff game Sunday afternoon. All the moms were there, but not too many dads. I was there because it was the right thing to do, but I was mad at myself for the stupidity of scheduling the concert during a playoff game.

I wonder if you’re being frustrated/hurt is because they didn't come to the concert, or because they let you down? I think it is because they let you down, and if it is that I agree with you. People are more important than ballgames, or concerts -- they should have been there for YOU more than for the concert.

I feel your pain; just remember that in this world different people have different priorities. I'm sure none of them skipped the concert with the intent of hurting you. Just remind them that they missed this one -- tell them it was FANTASTIC -- and make them really want to be there for the next one. Remember -- you attract more flies with sugar than with lemons!

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Thxs guys, I appreciate all the words of support. I know there are others that love music as much and even more than I. This isn't the first time, it all just came to a head this time. It's one of my last concerts as a school kid before I start my "grownup" life and just wanted to share it with friends. I do feel hurt and let down but it'll pass. People always complain around here that there is a lack of live music... I keep tellin' people it's cause no one supports what we DO have... but to no avail. Man, if I had a few hundred thoughsand, I'd buy a place, have jam sessions every nite, pay the house band and just support it. Heck, I may even sit in every now and then if the band leader would let me, lol. Think of how boring life would be without music. Even the stuff you hear on an elevator or in the restrooms, lol. oh well, live and let learn. I was just raised to respect and trust someone's word. MY word is my honor, my honor is my life. That whole thing. Guess I'm the youngest oldschool kid there is. Grrrr... There will be other concerts, other venues, other great memories.

7. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    If you want to see how boreing it would be, go to New York and buy one of those illegal copies of movies they sell on the street that are still in the theaters, like Star Wars Episode 3, and watch that, there's no sound track added yet and it makes the movie incredibly boreing and hard to pay attention too.
    My brother isn't a music freak like most of us are, and even he noticed that it was just hard to watch with out the music.

8. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Cats must not be hip to TiVo. :dontknow:

9. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I find myself in that exact same situations many times at my school, and it's with events that are on campus!! The problem that I see is that there are WAY too many people that are in music because that's what they're remotely good at, not really for the passion, they like playing their instruments, they like entertaining and giving concerts, but they don't have a passion for the music or making the music. When I graduated high school, my band director pulled me aside and told me something that I will never forget: "Always remember, if there's any doubt at all that music isn't what you want to do, then it's not for you, because at the end of it all, music isn't a carreer, it's a way of life." That guy could not be more right.