What Does it Take?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Nov 29, 2010.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    After watching COUNTLESS hours of drum corps videos on youtube, I've decided I really want to march in a world class corps. I like Phantom, but due to my location, I feel Cadets would be a wise choice. I love both corps though, and just the experience would be amazing to have. I want to audition next year to hopefully get in and wrap up my high school years with an awesome summer of drum corps.

For those of you who are knowledgeable what does it take preperation wise to get in? What exercises should I really hone in on (playing and marching) and any tips anyone had would be appreciated.....With my braces coming off, and already having a solid, very competent range, I'm hoping I might be able to nail a lead spot....but my main concern is MAKING the corps.

-thanks in advance
    Kristina

Oh yeah once last thing, in this video, at around 5:30 there is an incredible sounding trumpet solo, would anyone happen to know what note it starts on....it would be a fun thing to try and figure out in my spare time (range building too, in a way)
    YouTube - Best 1991 DCI Moments

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    More later when I get home from work, but in trying to transcribe the solo in the clip above, remember that in 91 everyone was on "F" Bugles so the "note" being played won't be the one you're used to hearing. They play a minor third lower than a Bb trumpet.

Scatmanblues

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The bugles were in G, not F. You're right about the minor third lower than the Bb trumpet, though. F would be a perfect 4th lower.

4. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I forgot they were G bugles :p no wonder the corps sound so awesome back then....

5. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    See, this is what happens when you post at the end of the day on the Monday after Thanksgiving....:roll: Yes, G bugles. I quit following DCI when they went to multiple-key horn-lines.

Scatmanblues

6. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    If you're a high school student marching in one of the top corps like the Cadets, then you've got to be something pretty special. In the event that you don't make a world class corps, consider marching with a DII/III or all-age corps to get experience that will help you out in the future. There are quite a few in your area.