What does this mean....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Vader Tater, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Vader Tater

Vader Tater New Friend

Mar 24, 2009
    Colo Springs
    I just got a trumpet today. And when I blow into it (I'm not sure if I'm doing it right anyway... my friend is supposed to show me) it just makes a sound like air passing though??

It's a used trumpet and I haven't gotten to clean it yet, so could that be the problem? or is th atsomething bad... like something is broken??

2. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Get someone who knows how to play trumpet reasonably well to try it out. You have to buzz your lips, not just blow.

3. Vader Tater

Vader Tater New Friend

Mar 24, 2009
    Colo Springs
    alright, thanks

4. Vader Tater

Vader Tater New Friend

Mar 24, 2009
    Colo Springs
    AH HA!!! Buzzing wasnt that hard of a concept to figure out (the weird feeling in my mouth tells me it will be though....), and it made a noise, so it works. thanks again

5. Publius_

Publius_ Banned

Jan 21, 2009
    ----
    yeah trumpet is kind of hard to begin but I think i just picked up the horn and started playing in fifth grade. The teacher told me I have a talent for trumpet. I played and it felt natural I still remember that day.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    My first notes were sung into it...not kidding.
    Get with a teacher quickly to move along with it. Breathing, teeth issues, pressure from the mouthpiece can all lead to poor habits and longer term issues.

We all had to start with that first note. I played bugle first (open notes - no valves), so the range came quicker, then went onto trumpet.

7. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    Welcome to the forums and the trumpet , yes the best advice is to get a teacher , don't do as I did go it alone a lot of time wasted . When I finally got a teacher most of what I had learned was wrong , it was like starting all over again . Videos , instruction books aren't much good without a teacher. I wish you all the best with the trumpet.

8. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Welcome to TM, find a teacher.