What exercise do you hate the most !!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hoghorn, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    For me it's the "Squirt Drills" in Leon Marins "Trumpet Isometrics" book, I hate them and I swear at them everytime I open that page, but I do them everyday !!! I'm really glad when I'm through with them !!! They work on the "Buccinator muscles" the ones that help you tighten the corners.
    I know the ones I don't like are the exercises I NEED to play, but man I don't look forward to them at all !!! :-)

Hoghorn

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
    jason_boddie likes this.
  2. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    As I work my way back on the horn after 15 years of not playing. I hate lipslurs, and the "America"theme and variations in the back of my Rubanks book. That is why I do allofthat stuff first. Then I can end my practice sessions playing church hymns to practice phrasing.

3. BobList

BobList New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    Baltimore, Md.
    double and triple tonguing.

4. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Yeah Bob agree here !!! I don't use it any more so I don't practice it. I have a really quick tongue and can single tounge what most players double tongue so I don't even practice it any more, but I DO feel guilty for not staying up with it !!! Triple tounging......Haven't needed it since High School !!!!

Hoghorn

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  5. BobList

BobList New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    Baltimore, Md.
    Double and triple tonguing are like a prostate exam. Yea, I'm gonna have to do it some day, but I don't wanna practice for it.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hate is an emotion reserved for the most despicable, so in my case it would be the exercize of answering posts on what hardware will improve range and endurance! :evil:

Seriously,
    my dislikes were mostly "after the fact". After sinking 6 months into pedal tones with no improvement, I disliked the waste of time. I have always had teachers that gave me a good balance of stuff to work on. So I can only identify things that may have been tough, but that is why we practice: bigger, faster, higher, louder (we must also add softer, more musical, more sensuous, more dependable, more intelligent, better informed).

7. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Boblist,

LMAO.....I almost spit my coffee into my keyboard !!!

Wasting time is a pain isn't it Rowuk....

Hoghorn

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bob,
    tonguing should be practiced slowly, at a speed where it works. It should NOT be gradually accellerated. Practice until slow is perfect then jump 10 beats per minute. Practice that until it is perfect. In 2 months you are FAST!

If we gradually increase the speed, we are ALWAYS playing where NOTHING is perfect and turning that into a (bad) habit. That is the main frustration of practice - building bad habits instead of solving problems!

9. brassmojo

brassmojo Pianissimo User

Nov 22, 2007
    Anything method involving transposition!

JM

10. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    hmmm.... what exercise do I hate the most?
    no Idea, I never do exercises :D

I star playing the real low notes that aren't supposed to be playable on the trumpet for a minute to warm up the mouthpiece a bit. then I play some low scales, and a bit higher. about 10 scales total, every one once, so I have enough range to play simple pieces. then I play which ever tune comes to mind without sheet music. (right now that's Goedickes concert etude), till I can't remember how to proceed, i finish the piece, or I get bored.
    after that I'm warmed up and can play pretty much anything I want to practise. I double check it with a C scale over two octaves, and move on to the pieces I am currently practising. (urutjunjan and telemann right now)
    after one long piece, I do f scales over three octaves (faking the first note by playing a f# and pushing it way down.), and go up from there, usually reaching g3 or a4, sometimes even c4 (not a pretty sound)
    then I just play another piece, and another one, untill I can't play them anymore because my lipps can't handle it anymore.
    and that pretty much every day, sometimes twice a day on a long day.

Saying that I don't do any exercise may be not completely true, though. most pieces I play are pretty difficult and I have to be able to do something difficult really fast, or really good in it. I might not be exercising it on its own, but I AM practising it while playing the piece. and like this it's waaaaaaay more fun :-P

besides that I pick up the piccolo trumpet once in a while, and start playing simple pieces one octave higher, or more difficult pieces on the same octave.

that's pretty much all I do