What foods/drinks helps or hurts your playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Jun 22, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trumpet players and food are 2 things that fit perfectly together (many of the finest players are not underweight......)!

In my 42 years of playing, I have found things that help and hurt me when I am on stage.

What generally helps is a plate of pasta before playing. The starch gets turned into sugar easily and I don't get tired an hour after eating.

Black tea makes my lips "tough". I believe that is due to the tannic acid.

A small glass of wine has been known to work wonders before a Brandenburg Concerto (especially if I am filling in for someone that chickened out and only gave me 10 days notice).

Hard alcohol (even in small amounts) has always been very bad news for my endurance. I think it dialates the blood vessels and keeps from replenishing the cells with oxygen.

What experiences have YOU had?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I find a beer, wine, or scotch before playing relaxes my chops a bit (for obvious reasons). I'm definitely with you on the pasta though, the carbohydrates help a lot with everything in general if you have a long gig that evening.

Being a big coffee drinker, I have to make sure that I haven't had a coffee just before a performance, as it exacerbates my already raging nerves lol.

3. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I stay away from milk, cheese, and fried foods just before playing. A good pre-concert meal for me is tuna salad, crackers and tea. Then, after the concert, its no holds barred!
    Roy

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Lots of Vodka helps.

I try not to eat pasta before I play. I don't know why but anything with red sauce makes me thirsty. Even way after eating.

I can't really have any alcohol. It makes it hard for me to concentrate. Before I play I try to have a light dinner too.

I do like coffee before I play. Sometimes I will go and get a buttered roll and a cup of coffee and skip dinner.

5. MaynardTrumpet

MaynardTrumpet Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    Haha, I remember I ate something that I liked, and then I started playing my horn, and felt like throwing up. Then there are times when I feel full after eating, pick up a horn and all of a sudden have so much air. I don't know, it's weeeeeeeeird.

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I'm opposite most people. I can't eat anything before I play. Just about everything makes my chops feel puffy (especially anything even slightly salty) and all the breathing and such on a full stomach makes me...well...belch often enough that it's tough to play well. Soft drinks, beer or tea make my chops feel fat too. I've found that I can play significantly better if I'm really hungry than if I eat an hour or two before a rehearsal or concert and feel all lethargic or have puffy chops. It makes it tough to find time eat sometimes, but what can you do?

7. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Aside from having a nice cup of coffee to stimulate the mind and body,I never really thought about it.But the next time I have one of thoses rare days when everything seems to work flawless,I will pay attention to what I ate that day.Just maybe the two are related.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too avoid food before playing - especially alcohol - a "glass of sandwiches" does me in, however a small beer in a break seems to have no effect (I don't do that often though). A small glass of cool water is the go for me - or perhaps some flat lemonade for the sugar fix.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Flaedlesuppe. Warm, light, and fills the belly just right!

10. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

Anyone ever work with Herbalists?

Pedal C: lots of everything green may work better? Reasonably good carb. energy without upsetting the system?

-