What foods/drinks helps or hurts your playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Jun 22, 2008.

1. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Don't play while chewing a bubble gum. It's feasible, but not really the best. Plus, it makes the mouthpiece all sticky. :)

he he he

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Because of my diabetes I have to be very careful about my diet. Last evening I played in a twelve piece brass ensemble accomanying 1,400 people at a gospel hymnsing and played an accrobatic version of Power In The Blood in a duet with one of our trombonists. I did this with nothing to eat for five hours before the hymnsing. It went very well, but, immediately after, I took my wife out for our wedding anniversary dinner and overdid it with the carbs. This A.M. my blood glucose level was more than 100 points higher than usual. I have yet to discover that any food or drink immediately prior to performing is either beneficial or detrimental. I just feel more secure with my performance if on an empty stomach.

OLDLOU>>

3. tfresh1

tfresh1 New Friend

Jun 23, 2008
    Portland, OR
    You can never drink enough Diet Coke...

But seriously, I try not to eat much if at all before performing. Any alcohol at all is even worse...it makes me feel all puffy and bloated and can't play at all.

4. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Good question Rowuk. I played Orb and Sceptre (Willy Walton) , and some other british music the other day on a stomach stuffed with [FONT=&quot]carnivorous[/FONT] goodies; namely a giant gourmet burger, lubricated with a pint of beer. Never again! Half way through the Willy Walton i remembered why it is always best to play on a light stomach. The indigestion was very uncomfortable! God knows how the other trumpeters breathed during that performance! On a more serious note, i know quite a lot of people who refuse to eat before a concert. Indeed they will survive on a light breakfast until the concert is finished. :D

5. Jim Kot

Jim Kot New Friend

Mar 3, 2007
    Prudenville, Mi.
    What you eat does effect your performance, for me I need to stay away from saulty type foods. I even start this routine before the gig. Sault does cause the body , especially the chops, to swell. Like what has been said before, if you find yourself on the road or eating at fast food joints, make sure you drink water. I even take a bottle of water with me to the job and sip durning the performance. This seems to work for me.

6. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    Personally, I don't think that any food or drink (except water) does not negatively affect playing if consumed right before one plays the trumpet. After one eats, energy is diverted to digesting that food and blood vessels gather around the stomach and intestines to absorb nutrients. Then, what is there to bring air up from the lungs? It's like when 50% of the workers at a fast food restaurant all go on a coffee break when a rush of customers come trying to get food.

Concerning long term effects, I like fruits and fruit juices and any fruit stuffs as long as I eat it at least 45 minutes before playing. I feel that gives me more energy to play afterwards. Pasta and noodles are good too but I have to wait longer.

7. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    I haven'T tried very hot mexican or japanese food... hmmm food for thought.

8. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Actually i ate a killer curry one night before a band contest. I was still dying with indigestion at the 8am rehearsal. So hot food, especially dodgy hot food even the day before is not a good idea.

9. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    May I revive an old thread?

I've been wondering about this topic recently. Several weeks ago I started into my morning routine, and my lips felt like bricks. I'd been practicing regularly, quite well actually, and the only thing I know of I did differently was drink about a gallon of iced tea the afternoon/evening prior, which I don't normally drink a lot of. The following day I was fine. Was it the tea or just a bad day at the office?

Does anyone know of anything that specifically aids the chops? I've heard that nuts and peanut butter are good, but have no idea what the source of that information was, or if there's any validity to it.

10. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I did not read the entire thread, but rowuk has frequently mentioned the effect of tea upon his lips: I believe he described them as feeling thick. I have no personal experience with the effect of tea since I seldom drink it.

Jim