What foods/drinks helps or hurts your playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Jun 22, 2008.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Why not MAultaschen?

2. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Every part of my being goes into my playing:

Physically- basics include proper hydration (clear pee) to proper nutrition. Physical fitness is always a good thing too, after 20 minutes endorphins are released which is an upper, that goes into my playing. Physiologically our body responds to how we treat it. Body builders have this down to a no kidding science ie. simple vs complex carb for example.

Mentally- Have I prepared, how's my attitude before I play? I like to believe I'm enjoying the lifelong journey of being a better player.

Emotionally- Am I in a good place?

Spiritually- This means different things to different people, to me it means how's my relationship with God going.

I've had hernia surgery...2x. I learned our body compensates in areas we may not be aware while performing tasks. Another example might be a knee problem can work it's way up to a back problem for example as our posture changes not for the better to take weight off the hurt knee. My point is the more resilient and complete I am as a person when I pick up the horn the more resiliant and complete my playing, practice, or performance.

Great thread Rowuk!

TJ

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Any alcohol before a gig, I really avoid. I like to keep my mind and senses as clear as possible when I launch into improvisation.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Water with lemon I find is the best drink to have up on stage with me.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I recommend avoiding popcorn, nuts, or fibrous materials that can lodge between the teeth prior to playing. That can become very annoying and take you mind off your playing.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Yep, but not out of a box. Need somebody's Oma to make it from scratch.

I try to keep it light, both regarding the food, itself, and the volume. I usually eat after performances, so I don't need to be eating dinner just before a performance. On the other hand, too light and I'm not fueled up enough. About one to one-and-a-half hours before I leave my place, I usually have pasta or a salad with pasta as one of its ingredients, maybe a dinner roll (actually Brötchen), some fruit and a shot of espresso. No alcohol although herbs were mentioned above and I used to use Johanneskraut until I changed leukemia medicine which forbid most herbal treatments.

7. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    I have never liked playing with a full belly. Too much of anything and I not only feel sluggish, but I think it also restricts your breathing. So, a small sandwich, no chips, nothing carbonated to drink and not too much liquid filling up my paunch. Nothing to build up gas, either, so avoiding dairy and onions and such.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Salty foods -- potato chips, pretzels, etc. Seem to have my lips swell and also hurt my endurance ((swelled lips cause me to use more pressure, which always limits my endurance on the trumpet)

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I find a simple bowl of fresh pineapple and watermelon sets me up for a good day's practice as well as anything. Very light on the stomach. some readily accessible fruit carbs for an energy boost, refreshing and packed with vitamin C. Can't beat it imho.

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Three Pints of Theakstone's Bitter, followed by Steak and Kidney Pudding or Toad in't Ole, washed down with three pints of Old Peculier, I might not play too well but I won't care too much about it.

In all seriousness anything light quiche or omlette something of that ilk Honest