What happened to my post?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bugler, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bugler

Bugler Banned

Hey everyone,

I posted something here a couple of days ago about another player stealing one of my gigs. I never mentioned any names, but the thread (which had a few helpful replies - thank you all ) was deleted.

In a search of my posts I tried to figure out what went wrong, found something by a moderator which vaguely described the issue, but now I can't even find the moderators comment. Also something there about "-2 points". What's all that about?

And while I'm at it, why is it so that a player can steal a gig and actually get away with it because 1. The Union wont do anything about it. 2. Taking this person to court will only cost me more money. What other recourse do I have? This could happen to any of you, so I hope that this will be discussed and not deleted or cause me to be banned for asking - as I was on some other site....

Thanks.

Mark

B15M likes this.
  2. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Stealing gigs is a fact of life unfortunately. As you say, the union can't/won't do much about it and trying to take someone to court will only cost you far more than you would have earned on the gig.

Only if you have a signed contract which the other party (the one who hired the other trumpet player) backed out on would you have any legal leg to stand on.

Remember that verbal contracts, while strictly legally binding are worth the paper they're printed on.

Time to move on and work hard not to let that happen again -- try calling the person who hired the other player and ask if that player took less money than you'd agreed to. It might not help, but if you do it, do it in a friendly "i just want to know" sort of way and don't be confrontational about it. Not if you hope to have that person or anybody else he/she knows hire you again. It's a microscopically tiny world when it comes to paying gigs, so keep on everybody's good side because you never know who is talking to whom.

3. Bugler

Bugler Banned

Thanks so much for the quick reply!!

My only disagreement with your reply is that "stealing gigs is a fact of life". I have never had this happened to me before and I've been playing 27 years. Other players/ college professors have told me "fortunately, this is a rare occurance because it tends to ruin the career of the perpetrator".

Unfortunately, the original question has yet to be answered: why was my post deleted? Not sure if you have the answer but if you do, I'm all ears.

Thanks again!

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    There has to be more to the story.

How can someone steal a gig?

The moderators here are very lenient. I have seen things go way to far and not get deleted so whatever you said must have been pretty bad.

5. Bugler

Bugler Banned

If I had the original post to refer to, I could provide that info, which is why I ask the question. I mentioned no names and thats why I'm surprised the post was deleted.

As for stealing a gig - the gig I am referring to - it was actually quite easy because the theif was a former student of mine who had personal knowledge of how to contact the client, lie to the client saying that I was already booked for another gig and so the thief could negotiate a better price. I guess this doesn't say much for the client for whom I have done this gig every year since 1997............

This would be a good opportunity to discuss how this type of despicable behaviour can be prevented. The union won't do anything and taking this player to court will only cost me more than the original gig's loss of pay did.

Thanks for your reply........

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have seen the union step in with this type of thing around here and I have seen players get in trouble for doing it. I guess it depends on your local.

Small claims court is almost free. You could go on peoples Court and everybody would see the person.

Why don't you call the customer and "steel" the gig back? If that happened to me I would play for free to make sure the thief didn't get the gig.

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I agree -- call the client and explain that the person who told them you were unavailable was lying and you're sorry they did that, but that you'd love to get the gig back for a future year and that in fact you had held the date open and was wondering why you never heard from him.

As for why your original post got deleted, I can't help there as I'm just a novice member of the forum.

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I realize you are sore about this, but it seems like you are making too much of a big deal about it. Unless this gig was a real money maker, I think your best course of action is to not hire the guy, not recommend him, and get on with your life.

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    There are two sides to every story. This site is not a court of law. We don't need to be involved in professional disputes. Take it to the A.F. of M. or your local union.
    Wilmer

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I moved the entire thread offline. You do not have to mention names to make people "identifiable". You crossed a line as far as I am concerned.

I understand that you are upset, that is something that you will have to deal with. Life is not always fair. I will make no judgement on the other guy. My experience is that price is usually NOT the deciding factor for the regulars.

In any case, keep the guys family situation out of the thread or this one will disappear too. Cheap shots just drag the quality of the argument too far down!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.