What happened to my post?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bugler, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    :zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz::zzz:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey Tony,
    did YOU steal this dudes gigs?:evil:

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I confess.....It was me.

4. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I must be sleeping too, did I miss something in all of this ? It sounds as if the 'Bugler' has been at this gig thing for a while and as such should know how to talk to his clients etc. I am not a professional musician but have been a business man for many years. I have learned that first of all you do not denegrate the competition, if they are really less than honorable it will be found out soon enough. If your clients leave because of something someone else says maybe they were not a good client to begin with or maybe you weren't as endeared to them as you thought. At any rate be big enough to go to either/both parties and confront them.

Being honorable means doing the right thing when no one is looking.
    You reap what you sow.

5. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    Actually, "stealing gigs" is a fact of business life no matter what career path you are on. It happens to us all the time as consulting engineers.

It is best to learn to deal with it.

As others have posted, the best course of action is to call the client and let them know that you still want to be playing for them. A word of caution however...DO NOT try to cut the gig stealer down to the client. That brings you down to his level and makes you look very petty and shallow.

Then....get over it and go on to the next gig.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I think you may hate this, but, maybe the gig customer was tired of dealing with a whiner, and opted for the path of least resistance. If I was a totally satisfied customer I think I would have called you, Bugler, to check it out. No offense intended! Just something to ponder.

v

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    2 years ago I couldn't make a gig so I recommended a friend who plays very well. After that he always got the first call to play that job. Did he steal the gig or just go and play his best and the guy liked him better?

I never said anything and I still am friends and still play for the job when I get called.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Our Community Band got a very important gig some years ago - about 15 years ago - when the local Army Reserve Band couldn't make the gig. We stepped in at the last moment and took 80 kids and adults 300 miles to support the festival in their place - we continue with the gig to this day even though the Army (Artillery Reserve Band are quite obviously better musicians by far - they have a radically different attitude though. So, what is the formula - be there, be enthusiastic, fill the need, work the crowd and the organisers, (and we invite the Army Band members to join us - and they do willingly). We know it is their gig - we have always known, they are just 'big enough' to move on and let the community and the kids have a ball.

9. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    If you recommended him and he did a great job, making your recommendation a solid one and proving that you know what you're talking about, he didn't steal the gig.

A stolen gig is when someone does an end-run around you (such as lying about how you're not available to play the gig).

But your situation is a caution to us all -- never pass up a gig you want to keep getting called for because people who hire musicians will simply call the most recent person who was available and did a good job.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You know what really annoys me about this thread? How can we even get the stupid, remote idea that a gig "belongs" to us?

Let's look at this: a contractor has a gig and books musicians. Many times, if they have been in the business, they have their favorites, cooperative colleagues that they book often, building a relationship of cooperation and consistency AND in a pinch to get a favor. The gig still "belongs" to the contractor. They can still book anyone else for whatever reason and don't "owe" anyone.

Who are we to imply that those gigs are ours? If someone else becomes first call, WE blew it. Look in the mirror and stop trying to point fingers at the others. Solve your own problems and stop whining. Nobody OWES you anything in this business unless YOU are the contractor paying.

There are contractors that avoid loyalties to keep costs down. They are the ones that get in a bind when they need to call in a favor that no one is willing to offer.

This whole thread is based on a very simple premise: pity me. I won't. The mirror could be your best friend here Mr. Bugler.

We only ban people for spam, abusive behaviour, liable or serious troublemaking. You got a thread deleted by me for spreading dirt and bringing non related family issues into the argument. I don't believe in wasting time to edit large sections of posts. A bad word or two will simply get censored with a comment why we did it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.