What happened to my post?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bugler, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    To Bugler;FWIW- freedom of speech doesnt always apply on this site. The powers at be can edit whenever they want,whatever they want, so to sum it up, the song doesnt always remain the same. I can see if someone is dropping the F-bomb left and right, or if some one is really going overboard with extreme name calling, saying stuff about their mother, etc, but ranting is good-sometimes. We all need a release at times to vent. Face it Rowuk. Unless you have a perfect life, you've probably needed to blow off some steam, be it at work, home, or here on the forum. I dont know all of the Bugler dilemna, due to it being REMOVED. But from what I gather, he claims to have a gig stolen, and if the dude is upset-LET HIM TELL US! If he crossed "the line"(?) and was really bombarding the post with profanity, then ok-do your editing, but since I couldnt read it, I will never know.If some low-life stole a gig from me, I'd make sure he might have trouble getting to the next gig(oh no-did I cross the line?) Let people say what they want(within reason)and dont be so quick to hit the"edit button". I am all for freedom of speech-remember the Constitution!:thumbsup:

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Even the Constitution doesn't give complete freedom of speech.

You can't go into a crowded movie theater and yell "FIRE" and watch the stampede.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    This forum does not belong to its members. It is owned by an individual who recoups his expenses by selling advertising which hopefully draws our business to the concerns who place the ads.

We frequent this site for free. The good will of the owner lets us post here as long as we adhere to some basic rules most of which are common sense and only ask that we not post obscenities, attacks on another, advertisements, or useless self-serving content. The idea is that we are all interested in the instruments in the trumpet family, the music we play, and the business and pleasure of engaging in that playing.

While I agree that there is no harm in blowing off some steam when we feel we have been unfairly dealt with, there is no constitution at work here. Freedom of speech (or writing) exists for those who are willing to confine it to what is considered acceptable, and 99.9 percent of us know exactly what that means.

Air your gripes if you wish, but when a thread about it degenerates into a controversy over your plight and there is no movement to accept some coaching from the others, to move on and let it go, then it becomes a whine-atorium, and a waste of time for everyone.

Anyone who posts frequently has likely had a post or thread removed. Sometimes we get out of line and don't give enough consideration to what we send when clicking that mouse. It has happened to me, and my guess is that it has happened or will to most of us. That is what the moderators are here for, and they don't get paid either. Their job is to protect the general membership from being offended, insulted, attacked, or injured by others. They do that well, yet with a good amount of patience and tolerance before they hit the squelch button. I thank them, even when it is me who blew it.

Bottom line: think before you click. Pretend you are the other guy and ask yourself how you'd respond to what you are writing. If you decide it is really necessary to let him have it in front of the rest of us, then do it in as clean, kind, and considerate a manner as you can.

You-know-what happens, to everyone. Like the song says: Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

veery

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Very profound, veery. Do you mind if I use it on my kids?

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    BTW, Why the "715"? I did a search and did not find 714 other members with the name "veery".

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    CBK,

Go ahead - it's a Buddhist saying.

715's my house#, on 10 gorgeous acres in the country (time for identity theft?). Veery is my favorite bird, and birding (birdwatching) is one of my favorite activities. Lots of veeries here.

V

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Check some of the other sites, professional players don't do what is going on here. The internet is NOT where grievances are settled, or even talked about. This should not have appeared on the web. Someone has made a major mistake.
    Wilmer

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    The original poster posted personal financial information about the "thiefs" wife as well as what she did for a living. He then went on to take shots at how the "thief" managed his personal life.

Rowuk put a warning in big boild letters for the original poster to edit his comments but he didn't, so the post was removed.

Well done mods.

+1 reputation point

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I find the "freedom of speech" argument always interesting. Most of the time (like here) it documents that the poster does not really know what freedom is. Freedom is not the ability to write or say anything you want at any time, anywhere. That is merely literary vomit. If that is your definition of freedom, then you are right, I do not accept that for the general trumpet thread that I moderate. Out of the many thousands of posts that are here, I have only felt a need for editing a handful of times(<5). I guess your false generalization of my quick editing hand could be considered "slanderous"? Grounds for an edit? You are way off track with the generalization that we at TM edit much at all. Maybe spending more time here would give you a better feel for what we are really doing?

So I agree, remember the Constitution - for what it means which is not anything goes, anywhere, any time. I hope that I don't have to spell out common sense.

I think in the mean time Bugler knows what went wrong.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yeah.

From my time back in the day as an A.F.M. Business Agent, R.O.P.A. and R.M.A. delegate while Richard Totusek was on the I.E.B., we went through as many bylaws and Agreements as we could lay our hands upon looking for language to borrow. "Stealing gigs" never showed up. Some Locals had bylaws prohibiting "soliciting;" some didn't.

There is a fine line between "soliciting" and "marketing;" "stealing", while colloquial, is not the appropriate term.

As far as freedom of speech applies to threads, as I understand it and as a Moderator revere it:

We exist as a community to discuss things trumpet (except in the lounge, which is fun time!). Free discussion, the free interplay of ideas and ideals is always allowed, and encouraged. Rants are even allowed, within reason. Should a thread get too political, too religious, or too personal the Moderators or Administrators will shut it down.

Is this unfair?

My children enjoyed playing in playgrounds when they were young. Imagine some grown-up running to the swings and ranting about free speech.

Whose playground is it?

My wish is that T.M. remain a playground for trumpeters. Please let it continue to be an oasis amongst all the "freedom of speech" on the outside.

Please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.