What happened to my post?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bugler, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Here is a stealing the gig story (kind of)

I don't know who the guy was but, he was trying to put together a symphony concert.
    He was negotiating with one of the local symphonies and couldn't come to terms.

Somehow the guy got hold of a roster for the symphony and tried to hire the musicians himself. The union found out and called the musicians and told them not to take the gig.

Two players took the gig anyway and were suspended from the union.

2. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    No, Rowuk, I would never consider an edit being unjustly used. Its just that it doesnt matter where you are-someone is always telling you basicaLLY to keep your mouth shut. In my former job, if I would have went to the higher-ups and told them about some things that I saw that were BLATANTLY wrong (usually from someone in management!) WOuld they have called them out to find out what was wrong? NO! I would have been the one to get the axe for bveing a "troublemaker". SO I learned to speak only when spoken too. ROwuk, I feel you and everyone here does a fine job, and I love this site! Its been very helpful to me on my comeback trail. I was just wondering what Bugler had said that got the post edited.I, too, had a post awhile back that was removed,but I really went off the deep end on Dubbac, and I apologized to him. If he (Bugler) was dragging his wife into it, well, thats not what we are here for. By thye way, I just came from church where I had 4 solos during the service. Praise the Lord for giving me the gift of music and to still be able to do it after so many years away!!:play:

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    guitarsrmine,
    the moderators do have a reserved privat area where we can interchange about all sorts of stuff. Anytime that we have something marginal, we do consult one another.

It is not our job to create false borders. I do believe that I can accomplish more through discourse than locking something down. I locked the other thread down for good reason. Discourse was of no use and dirt does not belong here.

I am always open to suggestions and fair criticism. I do need to have the "feeling" that the criticism is qualified though.

4. Bugler

Bugler Banned

Where I come from, when you do the same gig every year for 12 years straight, the gig is YOURS until YOU QUIT, or until YOU GET FIRED.

When you get fired, there has to be a good reason and you are supposed to be contacted by whomever does the hiring, not find out out about it the way I did.

The gig in question has a lot more to it than meets the eye. I can't go into all the details here except that it's a complicated scenario which entails other gigs.

But, for the record, I was in direct negotiation with the client about the gig in June. I was told that they would get back to me in July but that I should go ahead and pencil in the gig which I did. When I called in July, I was told "Oh, I'm sorry, we thought you were already booked so we hired a guy based on the track's recommendation". Huh??? After 12 years, you just assume that I am booked? I have a website with all the upcoming gigs listed.

The person who solicited the gig had 1st hand knowledge of how to do so because he was once a former protege and employee of mine. If there is a bright side, the gig in question was the lowest hanging fruit (paid the least for the most time invested) and while you never want to lose a gig, in retrospect, this was no great loss. That doesn't mean I am condoning what the other player did. I am just moving on with lesson learned. Hoping that doesn't warrant a thread removal.....................

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    So many things wrong here.....

First, I responded to your first post and told you what I, as a working professional would do in that situation.

It should have ended there.

Next, you proceded to elaborate a little on the problem and gave some PERSONAL INFORMATION about the other fellow, AND HIS FAMILY that should not be listed anywhere.

THAT WAS WRONG.

Now you say the gig was a low level gig that does not matter too much anyway. (the gig in question was the lowest hanging fruit (paid the least for the most time invested) and while you never want to lose a gig, in retrospect, this was no great loss.)

Now you write that it may NOT have been the other fellow's fault, but the CLEINT'S FAULT: When I called in July, I was told "Oh, I'm sorry, we thought you were already booked so we hired a guy based on the track's recommendation".

You add that you have a website and they could check your upcoming gigs. It's not up to the client to check your website for availability.

You now state that it is "No great loss" and that you are "...just moving on with lesson learned."

Then that is what you should do.

This was a great thread for the first one or two posts, it asked a question and got an intelligent answer from a couple of working pros.

It then went into the toilet.

I do not moderate this particular forum, but when the moderator for this thread comes on line, I hope he closes it again.

Chuck Willard, (Solar Bell) Moderator.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Dad, Your blood pressure :-o

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No thread removal, but closure. Everything has been said. We do not need all parties to agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.