What has helped your upper reg. the most?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JHarris, Jul 20, 2004.

1. AndrewsStrad0587

AndrewsStrad0587 New Friend

Jul 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    AIR!!!!

2. hose

hose Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Orlando FL
    A few lessons with Bill Carmichael of Orlando, FL ......Screaminbill.com. He helped me with some roll in and aperture habits that I had suspected for a long time were wrong, but didn't know how to put something new into my playing schedule.

3. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    1) I forgot anything anyone told me about breath support and just started squeezing my gut

2) I started gripping the bell with my left hand

3) I finally started squeezing as much lip tissue into the mouthpiece as possible

4) I home made this really small mouthpiece and made it look like a Monette, then I goldplated it with the most expensive gold

5) I brought this cool trumpet that's colored red and lets you play high, and man does it work!

-----------------

Okay, I'll be serious

1) Mouthpiece: Back in December, I switched to my forever old Bach 7C that I swore I would never use again just for kicks, that caused embouchure changes that are working in my benefit right now. I also had it hacked and threaded for Warburton backbores as the ten year old pre-attached one was irrepairable. This has allowed me to switch to larger backbores once I develop a more powerful airstream and put less work on the chops.

2) Airstream: I actually have found that when I'm using my airstream most effectively, I can feel some of the work being done in my back which is strange. Most people feel it in their gut, but I had to feel it in my back for it to work. Something to try if you guys are having trouble with efficiency

3) Chops: I'm using a roll-in embouchure for the reason that it yields the best sound for me, not range. I'm always about tone quality first and work on other items later. In the upper register, I'm one to think that a full sound like Doc or Wayne has is everything. This takes work, but it pays off tremendously in the long run. Think sound first and let everything else follow.

4) Mindset: I had to get the screamer phase out of my head before I started really developing my high register. I used to play on a Jet-Tone 7S and could play a High E which was greater than my young college comrades could do. I thought I was on top of the world, but truthfully, I had plateaued at high E in that phase. I finally got turned onto Wayne Bergeron's sound and was absolutely flabbergasted by his command. That encouraged me instead of building my high register from high C to rebuild my entire range from the ground up (say, low F#) and focus on my sound the whole way. Right now, I'm using the Bach 7C top with a Warburton 6* backbore though I'd like to try a 7 as I enjoy more of a projecting sound than a blending sound in my environment. I currently can play up to second high G above the staff, but I haven't and don't intend on plateauing there, and the way my playing is developing it will be impossible for me to plateau, which is a good thing. I've found that though playing up there on a larger mouthpiece takes more effort to build, it pays off big time in the endurance department once you own the notes, and the sound is more pleasing to the common man's ear. Granted, that's just my tastes. I'm more into the WB / Graham sound, but I leave myself plenty of room to enjoy the sounds Scott Englebright and Roger Ingram play with in the upper register.

4. ScreaminTrumpet

ScreaminTrumpet New Friend

Feb 25, 2004
    Lubbock, TX
    I am so sick of these kind of threads. Playing the trumpet is NOT ALL ABOUT HIGH NOTES. There is only a small percentage of music.....a very small percentage that requires "extreme range". I consider extreme to be past High G. If you make a bad sound or have no technique, no amount of range will make you a good trumpet player. Focus on fundamentals, good sound, great technique. Range will come. So many times good trumpet players sacrifice some aspect of their playing to "Scream". It's not worth it. Being a well rounded player will make you more money in the long run. Key word.....VERSATILITY!

5. hose

hose Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Orlando FL
    Screamin Trumpet: Agreed...Good post. These days it is very necessary to have a good command of notes (pitches) up to G. After that......? :roll:

6. Bach 1 1/4C Man

Bach 1 1/4C Man Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2004
    Max Schlossberg -Lip Slurs , Lip Trills

Max Schlossberg -Lip Slurs , Lip Trills this what has really helped my range to my nice G4 and playing the Arban's up there sometimes. But most important playing up there with a nice full fat Bach sound and lots and a fast air stream. :lol:

That should do it

7. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    Holy crap, if I hear one more thing about trying to play with a Bach sound I will seriously injure my dog. And you guys don't want to be the cause of an innocent puppy being hurt, now do you?

But seriously, someone should start an open-minded thread about "Bach sound."

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Quote: "open-minded thread about "Bach sound." Unquote

THAT is what is known as an oxymoron...especially in a trumpet forum!

:lol: :lol: