What have I gotten myself into....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Aug 27, 2006.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    For those of you that don't know, I just started college. I really had this whole mindset about being a freshmen and just being that low man on the totem poll. I was perfectly fine with accepting the fact I would most likely be placed in the lowest ensemble because I'm a freshmen and I just can't compeate with those amazing juniors and seniors.

So we had our placement auditions today. I really didn't take it all too serious because I figured I'll make the lowest band anyway. I stayed up till 4 am the night before and auditioned on about 3 hours of sleep.

So I get a call on my cellphone about an hour ago, and it turns out I have somehow managed to place 2nd chair in the Symphony Orchestra, the top ensemble in the university!

I'm so happy and excited, yet at the same time so scared because I really didn't think I was that good and I'm afraid I'm going to go in there and just suck it up.

I'm still in shock and my whole body is shaking from hearing the news.

2. Trumpeters_Lullaby

Trumpeters_Lullaby New Friend

Apr 10, 2006
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Don't be nervous man, you obviously got the chair for a reason. You have good things ahead of you, best of luck!

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Sleep is for sleepy people

Maybe you have discovered the secret to your playing - don't sleep too much.

In all seriousness, if they put you there, they did it for a reason - now go out there and do your best. They obviously have faith in you.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    It sounds to me that you went into the audition without much pressure because you didn't care about the placement. I am guessing that because of that mindset you didn't place much emphases on the technical aspect of the audition and just played. The end result I'm guessing was a very musical audition and the technique just fell into place.

You must be a fine player and that is what they heard. Play the same way in the orchestra and it will be fine. Your playing and your confidence is going to take a huge leap forward very soon. Good luck!

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Nice job!

In my first year, I expected to be terrible compared to everyone else. I did my placement audition and just expected to make a regular band, and hopefully the junior big band. A few days later, I found out that I made 4th trumpet in the top ensemble in the school, the studio big band. It felt great.

Just don't go into with a big head. Be humble (which you seem to be already) and be friendly and it will be a great experience.

6. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    Congrats man, I've got my college auditions tomorrow so I know where you're coming from. What school are you going to?

7. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Northern Arizona University. We actualy have a pretty good music program up here, but it's overshadowed by ASU so not many people know us.

8. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Great Job!!!! I agree that having no pressure allowed you to play great! Now that you are in there work your tailend off and show them they did the right thing.

That's a beautiful part of the state you live in. I had family out there until two years ago. I loved to visit AZ!

9. trumpet blower88

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Yeah, its beautiful, and it's really nice to be out of the 120 degree heat.

10. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    You proved to yourself what a technique to relieve stress will do to your performance for the audition; so, use that same technique when you're playing in the orchestra.

Relax and enjoy,

Liad Bar-EL