What have you been playing these last few days?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barliman2001, Mar 9, 2014.

1. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I've heard every one--at least twice. ;)

But seriously, I have tried to play two trumpets simultaneously. It gives you a weird feeling when you harmonize with yourself...

~Noah

2. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    Papa Loves Mambo... Modified and added a second trumpet part to it and my students and I are having a blast with it.

3. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    Great thread! Thanks for starting it.

I've been practicing two solos for church--the second movement of Eric Ewazen's Sonata for Trumpet and Piano and Sergei Rachmaninoff's Vocalise. In addition to these solos, I also am practicing the Basie-Nestico lead trumpet book, the Thad Jones lead trumpet book, and a lead part on a Buddy Rich chart. I had so much fun with lead trumpet tonight.

Janell

4. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm probably going to be lame on this, but anything to get my chops better... The brass band I am in is keeping me fresh, and I am looking to find some more playing time. My music guy at the church is finding some fanfare stuff for Easter. and lastly some Arbans, Schlossberg, Clarke, and other various stuff.

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    So you did not play poker or chess?

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Zelda, Thome Fantasie, lots of Arban Clarke and Schlossberg, los of "esay" lyrical stuff like Myfanwy, Ashokan Farewell (I need a Flugel), All in the April Evening, Deep Harmony. (All relatively easy but with bits that can bite you if you let off for an instant. For example Ashokan Farewell becomes Rose of Trallee if I don't watch the phrasing) My teacher wants me to start on "The Debutant" (eek).

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Lalo's Cello Concerto, Beethoven's Egmont Overture, Dvořák's 8th Symphony and Bruckner's 4th Symphony, practising for a couple of concerts in April and June on top of my normal church stuff.

--bumblebee

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Just had first rehearsal for a new arrangement of Ravel's Bolero. No drums, four trumpets playing the background rhythm very softly, with a distortion guitar screaming the melody... weird, but effective. My own arrangement... yes, you may try to shoot the arranger, but you will have to hit hard first time. Or else I'll shoot back!!!

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    A group of Harrelson clients met Friday night at Jazz Central to play some jazz duets with Jason.
    The event was put on by Harrelson Trumpets and Jazz Central.

It was a really good time, I got to play with and listen to some very cool folks.

Here is a video with Jason and Mark Bobnick, who is a really talented player who toured with Doc a couple years.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmOrNSEQ5KI

The video from myself and Jason:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBR1lC34jAw

10. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I played a dance gig Saturday with a quartet (pn, drms, ts, tpt). Definitely NOT a jazz gig, just playing tunes for dancers mostly well over 70. I've been reviewing Arnold Jacobs lately, so I used it to focus on my "song and wind" to play it pretty and tell a story.