What have you been playing these last few days?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barliman2001, Mar 9, 2014.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    If you don't mind me askin' Dale, did it ever occur to you that them thar was Yankee tunes? Just kidding, my friend. Sounds really neat. I would love to get a chance to hear that some day for sure.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Oh yeah, we play all sorts of yankee tunes. I even have a blue uniform hanging in the closet, right beside my gray ones. If someone wants to hire us as a yankee band, we do it. Money talks...

Here's a pic of us in blue, laughing it up with Frederick Fennell (shameless name dropping :D).

[​IMG]

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Turncoat!!
    now for my list of tunes.
    Porgy And Bess sellections
    Some rare Sousa Non-March Suites, yes, I know, am I kidding? NO.
    These are called "Looking Upward Suite" "The Light of the Southern Cross",
    then there are two or more movements. They still almost sound like marches at times.
    (The man was brilliant)
    Also, ( by Sousa) "The Harmonica March" yes, you read that correctly. He had been invited to hear the Philadelphia 52 pc Harmonica Band play for him, and they played Stars and Stripes Forever and did it very nicely. He enjoyed it so much, and probably was flattered as well, so much so that he wrote the March. I don't think it reminds me of Harmonicas in any way, but it is a typically lively Sousa piece and not easy.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  4. DickensCider

DickensCider New Friend

Feb 27, 2014
    Missouri, USA
    As for me, I recently performed three times for my university's composition festival. Michael Daugherty was the guest composer, but we also played a couple pieces composed by faculty and students in the same concert. I had the honor of playing two WORLD PREMIERS (for all of two-dozen attendees) of my colleagues works, one written specifically for me. I have to say, it's a very unique experience collaborating directly with the composer to make a piece of music come to life (particularly after hearing only God-awful midi renditions previous). Then I had my spring break, so a little downtime with just some maintenance exercises, only to come back to school and realize I have only two weeks of rehearsal before our next concert! We'll be playing some Grainger, Tichelli, and Saucedo. In orchestra we've been working on Lezghinka from Khachaturian's suite for ballet, Gayaneh. Unfortunately every other piece requires only one (or two) trumpet(s), so I'm feeling a little left out from that ensemble. Boohoo. Now that I'm done feeling sorry for myself, I almost forgot to mention that I've been working on my senior recital music! First movement of the Hummel on Bb, Aroutiounian's Aria et Scherzo, the Ketting Intrada and Purcell's Sonata for trumpet in D. Bit of a shorter recital, but still some great music that I busting @** to polish up. :)