What have you invented?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by borge705, Jan 14, 2009.

1. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    deleted

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Borge,
    I couldn't find anything to mellow out my trumpet. I wanted that Miles-ish sound but was born with a bright Maynard, Miyshiro type sound. I did some research and after several test models(and alot of input from professors and professionals around the country) I came up with and patented The RingMute. It's a simple looking ring of acoustic foam that attaches to the bell rim of a trumpet. And guess what, the damned thing works. I can go from my typical bright sound to a less bright Miles type sound.
    I also came up with a new methodology for learning improvisation based on four sequences which were gleened from different genres of music such as classical, rock, jazz, polka, country, etc.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Borge,
    Here's something maybe anybody can help with. OK here goes. Me and an associate have been working on a phenomenon we discovered involving a. pitch b. volume and c. distance
    We've done lit serches to help explain or name the phenomenon but could find none.
    The research involves a brief understanding of constructive and destructive waves.
    In a nutshell with most mediums, destructive waves cancel each other out and constructive waves reinforce each other, i.e. makes a bigger wave.
    Here's what you do.
    1)you and another trumpet player warm up.
    2)then stand about four feet apart.
    3)play a tuning note in unison and get it perfect.
    4)balance the volume between the two of you where neither is louder than the other What do you hear?
    Can you look at the bellrim of your trumpet and sense that a little of the sound of the other trumpet player is coming out of YOUR trumpet?
    Our hypothesis is that when the three variables mentioned are insync, each trumpet acts as a small transformer for each other. We call it the SG Effect (initals of the two people investigating this phenomenon). Have fun and let us know what you find. The big adjustment once your in tune with each other, is balancing the volume.

4. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    clever invention.

while i'm at work and don't have a pic of my invention, i'll describe it...

i made a "small components soaker" for cleaning my horn. the garbage disposal in my sink looks very menacing against slides and valves, so i needed to rectify this.

i took a tupperware container, drilled about two dozen 1/4 holes in the bottom and lower sides of it, glued some strips of styrene in it to divide the container into segments the proper size for all components. all you need to do is put everything in the container, and drop it in a filled sink.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Set the trumpet on your lips lightly and let your partner play loud staccato notes. You will feel the pressure on your lips. There is plenty of acoustic modulation in a room with 2 trumpet players. 1 and 1 can be more than 2 when making music. That is the beauty of it!

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Now that's smart. I've never thought about what would happen if my parts were to end up in the disposal part of my sink(where most people probably clean their horn.).
    I smell a moneymaker!

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    YES!! Exactly!!!! Now, the problem is that from our both internet and library liturature research, the topic is not discussed in the way that suggests that when the three factors are insync, some of the other trumpet plays sound is allowed into your horn. We speculate that it is a simple situation of converging constructive waves. I've experimented with some trumpet players and after explaining the directions they all said the approximately the same thing. The hardest thing we noticed was getting two trumpets to get their volume balance to where one person isn't softer or louder than the other.
    It's once the volume balance is attained that trumpet players(and a pair of sax players) report that they notice this phenomenon. One trumpet player said that when all was insync, he could look at the bell of his horn and almost see the sound of the other guy's horn. If you have any lit sites that can add to our quest, that would be cool

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Here in the U.S. we get our Num-n-Nums in little plastic bags. I guess that Australians are more 'recycling' oriented and have better packaging for their candies. The concept is a very good one, though.

OLDLOU>>

9. RX-2Fan

RX-2Fan Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Tampa FL
    take a pringles can and put it to the bell of the horn, leave some space so that it isnt touching. then play a G(the g in the staff). then the can will vibrate only when you play that note.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well, as an early morning (pre dawn) player on ANZAC Day (25th April) here in Oz, and having old eyes, I needed a way to illuminate my march music on the lyre. The little lamps that clip to your hat brim aren't bright enough, so I took two AA batteries, connected them through a small toggle switch to a Maglite globe mounted on a short length of light coat hanger wire (like the dry cleaner supplies). The switch, batteries, and base of the wire all got heatshrunk together with the lamp sticking out about 4 inches (100mm). The exposed lamp was then encased in a small glass fuse tube (with one end cap pulled of and slid over the globe for protection), and the wire, lamp and it's 'new lens' heatshrunk together - yeah, I needed some Gaffa tape too - don't you always? I then cut a small window - half a small finger nail - out of one side of the heatshrink around the 'lens' so that when it was all switched on very bright light glared out in one direction - not in my eyes. Now the whole device is taped to my lyre (Gaffa again), the coat hanger wire bent so that the lamp lens faces, and illuminates, the music without getting in my view. This whole device - I can take photos if you need them - allows pre dawn trumpeting to occur under a discete but bright light, and I can actually read the tiny score on the march pack. (Yeah, I could have memorised the music too, but then I wouldn't have been able to invent stuff. All the trumpet section, the low brass and some of the saxes use my little lamp too - manufacturing costs are about AUD$5 each.