What have you invented?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by borge705, Jan 14, 2009.

1. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    deleted

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    actually they're tubes for m&m minis. those we do get packaged like that here in the states.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Borge, I'll see what I can do sometime today - it will only be the finished product unless I can find the components for an unfinished one - leave it with me.

4. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Well for my instruments I have not invented anything yet. I do regularly remake an OEM tool to better fit my needs. So I have a bunch of Sear's Craftsman wrench's that have been heated and bent to odd ball shapes to allow me to work around part's instead of remove them to get at a bolt. I also make my own spanner wrench's all the time also usualy from OEM tools normaly Craftsman brand. I do not want to use SnapOn or Matco due to the cost but I also do not want to use cheap Chineese made tools either so Craftsman has usualy been the price point leader for quality and price.

I have recently designed a holder to hold three trumpet valves for copper plateing useing scrap Stainless steel and some stainless steel nuts and bolts.

I made practice mutes from Runizit's but that is not my idea at all. I did make some though from a Monster Energy drink can and am thinking about adding some cork to the ALuminum bud light bottle shaped can's.

For those that speak the British and Austrailian styles of English I know that Gaffa tape is what we in America call Duct Tape but what exactly is a "Gaffa"??? I used to use the term when around my British friends but never thought to ask what a "Gaffa" was???

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I may have to find another way to upload the images of my lyre light - they all seem to be 2.5x the TM website limit - can anyone help with uploading <60kB jpg images - or should I dump them into an album?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Use Imageshack or photobucket...always works

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I may have to find another way to upload the images of my lyre light - they all seem to be 2.5x the TM website limit - can anyone help with uploading <60kB jpg images - or should I dump them into an album?
    Attached Images[​IMG]

LYRE1.JPG (50.4 KB, 1 views)[​IMG]

LYRE2.JPG (48.5 KB, 1 views)[​IMG]

LYRE3.JPG (38.2 KB, 1 views)[​IMG]

LYRE4.JPG (49.4 KB, 1 views)

Thanks Chuck - I think I have it sorted.

Now let's see:
    Lyre1.jpg is a view of the complete assembly attached to my marching trumpet lyre - Gaffa is used, but I try to minimise tape due to weight ahead of the trumpets centre of balance (not it's musical balance).

Lyre2.jpg shows the complete assembly again and most of the components used, although I didn't have a spare single pole, single throw micro toggle switch in the "stuff" in my shed to show you - they are available through places like Tandy's, or Dick Smith's, if you are in Oz, or Radio Shack in the States, I don't know who in the UK or Europe - maybe Laskies (spl?). In this view I have included a second glass tube fuse (the small one) as an alternative - these are the ones I used on my later units.

The trick with the fuses is to grind one end of the fuse off on your linisher (or grinder - be careful, or you can painstakingly do it by hand) so that the metal cap becomes a metal band. If you use very low amp fuses then the wire inside doesn't need to be removed - the wire is so fine that you just don't notice it. Notice that I have used stainless steel lockwire from my Hangar floor days - this is flexible and easy to work with. The lockwire (.026") can be wrapped around the glass tube of the fuse, top and bottom, can have the hook-up wire lightly taped to it, and then the whole shooting match can have heatshrink tubing installed. A window will need to be cut in the finished heatshrink (only on the side facing the music) to illuminate the score without shining in the player's face. The other end of the lockwire is then used to bind the two dry cells together, solder the switch into the circuit - a little Gaffa cover is applied to secure everything, including the switch, and then I heatshrink the battery pack assembly - voila.

lyre3.jpg is a really out of focus view of the heatshrink cut away for the lens shroud.

lyre4.jpg shows the location of the toggle switch.

You don't need to be a Rocket Scientist to build one of these, but if you are it will be something you can get your friendly aircraft maintenance engineer to knock together for you - remember, keep it as light as possible. I thought I might look at superbright LEDs as another alternative, but battery voltage seems a bit of a hurdle, nor have I investigated rechargeable batteries or hearing aid batteries. The Light is only used for about 10 mins each year at the ANZAC Day Dawn Service and so mine is now about 5 years old, battery life is thus not a problem.

This device is not copyrighted but I would appreciate some recognition for Service Veterans if you chose to use it. ;-)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  8. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    deleted

9. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    deleted

10. johnMak

johnMak Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2008
    Ridgecrest CA
    It is so amazing how close we all get in doing this. I've been scared of that garbage disposal myself. I've been thinking on the same line, but never got to where your at.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Where can we send the check? and will you offer a free Gensue knife with every order?

Thanks again