What helps you play in front of people?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Oct 2, 2010.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    The only thing that has helped me with playing in front of people is playing in front of people every chance I get. It gets easier the more I play.

2. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I go by my personal motto of, 'If im nervous playing in front of people, then why am i playing at all?', i know there would be some who disagree with this statement and who just play for fun and the sheer thrill! but it works for me!
    :thumbsup:

3. zappamusic2010

zappamusic2010 Pianissimo User

Oct 4, 2010
    England
    My experience is a little different ...

I play euphonium in brass bands in the UK and have played with some of the leading brass bands in the UK and world. Played at the Royal Albert Hall and the countries biggest venues and in big national and international competitions. Always got butterflies in the tummy which I think is natural in anyone but learnt how to control them. I had balls of steal back then and would just think 'listen to this!!'

Now i'm almost 30 a little older and wiser. Still play the euphonium occasionally but now get very nervous and tighten up. Or the really wierd thing is even when I don't feel nervous and stand up and play an easy solo (which i've played for years and is not that difficult) my leg shakes like crazy!!!!

I've been thinking it is an adrenelin problem (too much been released) and was even thinking discussing it with a doctor ...

Now playing the trumpet in big bands (not lead) and a soul band etc and don't get nervous at all. In fact i've found that i'm really enjoying music more than ever. Played a couple of jazz choruses at the last gig and got a buzz (heart rate increased etc) but not the shakes!! I'm no where near as good on a trumpet than the euph BUT to me enjoying it means so much more and not shaking like a leaf is good!!

4. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Well, said. And the only thing I could have done (in my personal case) to be prepared for the pressure was to have played in front of people numerous times before. But there has to be a first time. Too bad it wasn't a better experience. In hindsight, I wish my band director would have suggested I have a glass of water handy to take a drink right before starting the solo. Certainly would have resulted in a much better outcome.

5. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    The more you do it the easier it gets. Something I recommend to my students: put together a program that you can play at retirement/nursing homes. Good for you and good for them. Use CD tracks, Music Minus One, Aebersold, or Smart Music for accompaniment if you can't find an accompanist or combo.

6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Trumpet isn't exactly the best instrument for those that don't want to be heard. :D

7. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    What helps me play in front of people? ....MONEY!
    hahaha just kidding....well....

We all have tricks and only YOU can decide what works for you.
    If I am prepared and have all the notes in my grasp the music will flow.
    If I am looking for directions whilst en route I am surely lost.....

One trick I learned in college was to focus on one friendly face in the audience and play to them....
    It could be a real friend or someone that looks friendly to you.

If you are are in a musical pit this becomes harder...
    Chose a fellow musician who you trust and play for them...
    This is sometimes even better because they can give you "real" feedback afterwards :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010