What horn to buy

Discussion in 'Horns' started by player0608, Dec 19, 2016.

1. player0608

player0608 New Friend

Dec 19, 2016
    I need a new horn as mine is developing some issues. I play in jazz, concert, and marching band. Drum corps is my long term goal. I'm playing on an old Bach but am clueless as to what horn to purchase. Suggestions?

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Jazz and concert takes finesse, Marching and Drum Corps - take a Club!

Seriously, there are a thousand suggestions and all valid - any Shop can help you by going and playing the horns they have in stock.
    What's your Budget?
    How long have you been playing?
    Is Drum Corps the Long Term Final Goal, then you plan to be a professional line-backer?

Just using the next scrummage follow on beyond Drum Corps...

BTW Welcome and a warm welcome, I may sound cold but we do need more info please.

The Bread and Butter /MacDonalds BigMac response will be Ambassador for Marching - it projects (as does a thousand others), it can be trod on by the Sousaphone player, brushed off and still make a noise (now only a few left in the list). Bach Strad / Yamaha Xeno/ Carol Brass/ Jaeger Diamond - there are so many the list will take the page.

What are the issues with your current horn? What Model do you have?

Good luck

3. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I would probably get the Bach you have serviced, and get it playing, and use it for Marching. Even keep the Kelly Screamer mouthpiece in the Bach for those cold days

Then use the up-grade for the Concert/Jazz settings. An upgrade may be a Yamaha 3335, depending on what you have at the moment. .

If you have cash to burn, look at a Yamaha Xeno and Bach Strad, they will do you through for your musical life, if you choose to keep playing.
    Cheers

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Welcome to TM, player0608!

What kind of Bach are you currently using? Is it a Strad or is it a student model?

Mike

5. player0608

player0608 New Friend

Dec 19, 2016
    Hey, budget is around or under $2500. I've been playing for about five years. My personal horn is a student model King 601 which was damaged badly during marching season. I have been using a Bach on loan from a friend but need to return it shortly after the first of the year. Drum corp is my long term goal as of now but I am going to be a music major so my playing, whether drum corp happens or not, will never be on the back burner.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  6. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    That helps a lot.
    Really Marching Band is risky for an expensive horn. Anything that projects will work OK. I would use a beater here.

For the Budget, man you have the world of horns to looks at - take your time and spend wisely.
    1. Bach Strad 37, 43 (will always get my vote, and 2nd hand are in your range with cash to burn)
    2, Yamaha Xeno - really good horn

I will always pick those 2 as there are plenty around, accepted in all areas of music, no questions asked, and if you decide to move on from either you don't lose your pants. A new horn at RRP, you will probably drop 40 to 50% when you walk out the door. 2nd hand would always be my pick, until you get flushed with cash, and don't have to worry about a lazy grand or 2.

What horn to Buy, is like asking What Wife/Partner to Marry, What Car/Bike to Buy etc - very personal and very individually orientated around the function that suits the longer term vision of the path ahead. We will all have different views.

Good luck with your safari to find the perfect horn,

7. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Man, the world is your oyster! What I would do to have that budget to find a "new" horn! For that price tag, if you shop wisely, you MIGHT be able to find TWO horns! Or at least get your King fixed to march with & (after careful consideration while shopping) get a "pro" horn for everything else. Might want to contact Trent at Austin Custom Brass.

Good luck!

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
  9. Bflatman

Bflatman Mezzo Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Excellent advice so far but I would add a note of caution.

"student model King 601 which was damaged badly during marching season"

Spend a fortune on a pro horn and have to use it for marching, you risk losing the entire basket with all the eggs in.

$500 should see your king renovated to as new, Or at least an Olds Ambassador for marching with,

This leaves 2k to spend on a pro horn to progress on. I think wisdom suggests you need a second horn.

10. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    For under 200 bucks you should be able to get a good condition Olds Ambassador or Holton Collegiate for marching.
    Both are tank-type horns and suited for rough marching conditions. :-)