What horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    So I will be auditioning for grad school in January. There are 6 standard excerpts on the audition list. Do I need to learn all of the excerpts on one instrument (i.e. "C") or do I need to learn them on the horn that it is standard to play them on?
    This is my first audition of this kind and I am clueless. Would the same answer apply to pro Orchestra auditions?
    JR

2. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    Learn them on as many instruments as possible... I'd say this applies to most everything. I know in a few lessons with different folks I have been asked point blank to play excerpts on a different horn than I would chose to perform it on, and this isn't uncommon in some auditions either. Learn that Bartok on Bb AND C.... it challenges you to really know the music - not jus what buttons to mash down.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  3. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    Sorry, I should be more specific. When I audition, do I bring multiple horns into the audition room with me, or play them all on the same horn?
    JR

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Better take as many horn as possible. You never know what the auditions panel may require you to play on. Better bring an extra horn that you won't need than missing a horn than you could have taken and have to present excuses instead...

5. bachstrad72

bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2007
    Philly
    When taking auditions I try to learn the excerpts on as many horns as possible, but then take the audition on as FEW horns as possible. This way I am comfortable on the horn I am playing and I don't have to worry about getting another horn up to temperature or getting otherwise adjusted to another horn.

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Playing the excerpts well should be your only concern.
    Wilmer

7. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    I'd say do everything on C except:

Bb trumpet: Ein Heldenleben, Carmen, Shostakovich Piano Concerto #1, American in Paris & Concerto in F (Gershwin)

D trumpet: Pulcinella, Ravel Piano Concerto, Christmas Oratorio, Messiah, etc.

Eb trumpet: Petrushka Ballerina's Dance, finale of Bartok Concerto for Orch., Haydn & Hummel concertos

Piccolo trumpet: Rite of Spring, B Minor Mass, Magnificat, Brandenburg

Assuming that they've given you a list, take as few horns as possible. Fewer horns to keep warmed up, valves working, etc.

Hope this helps, and best wishes!

Ray

8. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    I'm with Wilmer on this one. Don't over-think, just play.