What I have learned about asking for things.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChrisDB, Feb 24, 2015.

1. ChrisDB

ChrisDB Banned

Nov 20, 2014
    I thought it would be appropriate to post this so maybe in the future if somebody makes the same mistake I did, they can see this post, and learn from it. (If it is not in its appropriate discussion tab then move it).

Recently I made a post asking for someone in this community to transcribe a piece of music... And I have learned that it is very tough to do it, and asking mindlessly for others to do it is a little disrespectful. I also learned that transcribing music is something important for many players to do themselves and would help them become better players, as legend musician Clark Terry says "Imitation, Assimilation, Innovation" (Clark Terry). To imitate as I can conclude is to transcribe or learn from others. I am really sorry for making this post. I learned a valuable lesson from all of this.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Transcribing music is not always easy (in fact, it can be exasperating), but it's a great way to challenge your brain. It doesn't take long to realize the musical, mental, and emotional growth that results from this endeavor. You'll play better, your mind will be sharper, and you'll be developing patience and persistence. Not bad rewards for such hard work.

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    While you're transcribing one, can you do one for me? I mean, you'll have momentum and all ...ROFL

Aw, man...it's ok.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I think there's no harm in asking for something. Though it probably pays to consider carefully what that something is, if you want to avoid receiving some frank opinions about the request.

I am reminded slightly of this XKCD cartoon:

xkcd: Tasks
    [​IMG]

This is like the difference between asking for the notes for "Basin Street Blues" (try looking here: Free sheet music : Williams, Spencer - dixieland - Basin street blues (Lead sheet) -- that was easy!)
    and asking for the notes and arrangement exactly as played by James Morrison.

Kind regards,
    --bumblebee

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi Chris.

There's nothing wrong with asking questions. And there's nothing wrong with an innocent mistake. We learn in both situations.

So it's all good. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

6. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Many (Many) years ago i wanted to play "bags groove" and "comin' home baby" from the herbie mann newport album. I play piano so i worked on it using the keyboard. Later i used trumpet. The melody line can be starting point. Learning the chord changes can be more difficult. Often they are usual blues changes but the +- dim and augs can be difficult to hear.

I may or may not have got it back then. But i still play both tune. Sometimes just keep it simple.

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I know several players that supplement their income this way, it is hard to live off just playing until you hit the big time.

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Good attitude, Chris.

9. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    Another big benefit of transcription is that, inevitably, you WILL make some changes to the piece, both from mistakes and just from thinking, "Hey you know, I like THIS note here instead ... " Both the music and you will grow and evolve. Some of the best performers in the world started out trying to sound like someone else, and ended up sounding like no one else.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Great thread! We are all in this TOGETHER. Not one single person here can save it or flush it down the toilet. It is give and take - as long as there is balance, the community as a whole prospers.

I would recommend transcribing with a pencil, eraser and sheet music paper and NOT the computer. Do it that way and you will know why the next time that you pick up the horn! tell us about that feeling and how it was playing what you wrote!