What if....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Outkastah, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    What if I happened to have a old trumpet that isnt verry good and I decided I wanted a C trumpet so I took a saw and cut just enough of the leadpipe off to make it in C?....
    Note it already doesnt play in tune, and no I didnt do this I just wanted to hear your opinions.

2. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Please go down to your nearest Pub, settle in to watch the Super Bowel, get a few doubles of your favorite booze, down four of them and then forget about that cutting idea. MHO

3. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Haha, sounds good

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    1. I wouldn't recommend cutting the tubing with a saw.

2. You don't just cut the leadpipe. It isn't that simple.

3. Bad idea

5. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    I had an image of a drunk man trying to hack saw a Bb to C... probably end up in Eb ROFL

6. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    :laughwave:

7. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    I will do the same to your LEADPIPE if you touch that horn with a saw >.<

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    As Brekelefuw said, "It is not that simple". First, all of the tuning slides are proportional to the overall length of the trumpet. If you cut only one part, the rest will be HORRIBLY out of tune. Older trumpets that were made to be played in either Bb or A often had two sets of tuning slides - or engraved marks on the tuning slides - so that all the slides could be set to the correct length for the change in key. Converting a Bb to C is a very iffy proposition even if you have a trumpet that is somewhat suited to that conversion and if you know how to make very precise, accurate modifications. It is not something to be done with a hacksaw. Otherwise, great idea!

9. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I do exactly the opposite : everyday I give fertilizer to my C trumpet in order to grow it up into a B flat !