What impact does Bore really have ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Masterwannabe, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    See Rowuk,
    I'm telling you we need to come up with a different term since bore size is so convoluted.
    Maybe a on line survey!
    Ask people what adjectives they use to describe trumpets with a small bore verses trumpets with a large bore and what trumpets they attribute this to.
    From there, devise a term.
    Damned I wish I knew how to put together an on line survey.
    ---------
    If any of you out there in cyberland are music majors and need a thesis idea or a doctoral student in search of a dissertation topic, here's a good one!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Markie,
    for every trait that they come up with, we both know of small to large bore instruments that would fill the bill. It makes no sense to beat that dead horse again.

If someone wants to be a trumpet geek, they need to talk about something like mass (of the mouthpiece, of the horn, of the player, of the tongue, of the valve oil, heck even the mass of the case is more significant than the bore). There is really NO real objective data available on that and it DOES make a difference.

3. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    I guess the objective data would be playing both a large bore Committee and a medium bore Committee on the same gigs, and noticing the difference, since the mouthpiece and other equipment are the same.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Bill,
    yes, your situation would tell you about the design ideas the Martin artisans had a long time ago. I am pretty sure that the REAL differences are in the leadpipe, not the bore though.

That would not apply to Bach however where the smallish bore Vindabona IMHO is the free-est blowing of the lot. The Schilke, Benge, Holton.......... story is different.

We buy instruments as a whole. That is also how we need to evaluate them. Bore tells us nothing.

5. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Hi Rowuk, perhaps there are differences in the lead pipe between the medium bore and large bore Committees-that's an interesting thought.

6. bobharry0

bobharry0 New Friend

Sep 23, 2009
    new york
    weak or powerful

7. veery715

veery715 Fortissimo User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I fear that is entirely too few calories if it makes you dead!!