What influences the timbre of the trumpet the most?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kujo20, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I'm curious about what parts of the trumpet affect/influence the overall timbre of the instrument the most. What makes a trumpet bright or dark (besides weight/metal thickness/thinness)?

I've heard answers ranging all over from different trumpet makers all over the world before...some saying leadpipe, others saying the bell, and even some saying the valve section.

I know a little bit about this topic, but not a ton...so any legitimate answers are welcome! Also, if you could site sources, that would be great!

I tried finding information on this using the search feature hear at TM, but I could not find anything, so if this is already covered I apologize ahead of time!

Thanks,
    Kujo

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The player.

Seriously though, I think that weight and the bell have a lot to do with it too. For instance, an ML/37 Strad seems to be a compact, darker controlled sound. A Schilke B1 or B6 - lighter weight with a bigger bell, seems to be a bit brighter with a bit of a wild side when it's pushed.

3. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    This is 2nd hand info but here goes. My repair tech told me starting at the mouthpiece going out the closer to your mouth the more it effects the sound.
    -Bobby

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Haha! Yep!

But it does have to be noted that some horns do lend themselves toward being brighter or darker - that's just the way it is.

5. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Some might say it goes back more: brain - air - lips - mouthpiece

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    As a player and someone who has done a fair amount of customizing I would have to agree.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my 2 cents is that a darker horn is "heavier" and has an extra brace or two to prevent it from "vibrating" and sounding tinny or "brighter". My King Silver Flair is heavier than my King 600 in weight, and the Silver Flair sounds "darker" by a little, even using the same mpc. I personally like the Dark sound, or mellower sound, or "less tinny" sound -- this is purely my opinion, jazz players will probably disagree with my assessment.

8. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    kingtrumpet,
    I'm a jazz player and I don't really disagree with you. I played on a Yamaha Xeno for 4 years, and I am now playing on Taylor Chicago Custom(for almost a year now). The Taylor is EASILY a darker sounding trumpet (even using the same mouthpiece). The overall sound of my Taylor has less edge than my ol' Xeno...which is perfect for my playing style
    As far as the "the player influences the timbre the most". I understand that full well. In Wynton's 60 Minutes special, you see him playing on a Schilke or something for a little bit, and his sound is still pretty much the same! I understand all that very well...
    The main thing I want to find out from this post is "what part(s) of the actual instrument affect the overall timbre the most".
    Thanks for all the posts so far!
    Kujo

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Kujo20,
    yeah it was only 2 cents worth anyhow, LOL -- but I have an old 70's Conn student model which is lighter than both Kings, I think thinner metal, and it is brighter. Some also will say the finish -- that a silver horn will be lighter, and a laquer finish in gold will "dampen" the sound a bit --- then you are going to get replies about mpc's and bore sizes, etc --- this will be an interesting thread.

10. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    i'm about to get corrected watch:

in my experience, aside from my lips, the part that effected sound the most is the material of the horn. various parts of the horn have different effects when changed, but yeah, essentially the copper content. I've played bach 36's for years, some yellow, some gold, and some rose, all sounded very different, atleast to my ear.

Edit: my own personal favorite is rose, regardless of what type of horn lol