What inspires you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMonk, Jun 2, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Listening to players far better than I am regardless of in what facet makes me want to practice more. The Real Group is an example of such a motivational factor.

My trumpet students are also a great motivation for me because I continually get the message how much more practice time could help ME.

2. Gliss Girl

Gliss Girl Pianissimo User

Aug 31, 2009
    Portland, MI
    Involvement in the trumpet and larger musical community is my inspiration - like most of us here, I'm a music fanatic inspired by music fanatics. I may not be able to play "with the big dogs", but the "big dogs" let me learn from them, play with them, and share ideas with them (as long as my ideas are thought-through). And I in turn, am willing to share with other developing musicians, if I have anything I can offer. I always know that this inspiration will drive me to get better and maybe, some magical day, I will be playing with the "big dogs". In the meantime I appreciate that I can hang out with such really cool people, both "live" and "electronically". Between my teacher, Trumpetmaster, other trumpeters I run into, community band members of all instruments, musicians in Church, and students I've sought out in our local school system, I can easily gain back my inspiration if I have a less-than-easy practice day. :-)

3. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    +1 for me. Always strive to play with people who are better than me. It's amazing how much you learn just from being on a gig next to someone who is a lot better than you. Actions are far louder than words.

4. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Clifford Brown

5. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    The knowledge that music is an art that allows us to be part of a creation that can be far beyond our own musical limitations, every part counts. The 8 year old who can play only one note can be part of blues that swings with the best of them. He just needs too play that note with style.

6. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    While we are on this subject seeing Harkan Hardenburger perform AERIAL by H K Gruber last night was pretty inspirational. Multiphonics, playing with various slides missing, I didn't know what was possible until seeing this. I'll be shopping for more of the same.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes - I so love playing beside a better musician, it always inspires me to 'lift' to the occasion.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    As sad as this might sound, the only thing that really inspires me to practice these days is because I still gig and get paid for it, and I don't want to roll in to a gig and suck. I guess in a round-about way I practice so that I can continue to the play the licks like I know I can play them and so they sound right.

I have long since abandoned practicing to try to improve, or so that I can play a piece of music that was unattainable at an earlier point. Some might say that sounds pretty negative, but I have so many other things going on in my life where I want to devote some time that it just doesn't make sense to me to take time away from those things. In effect, I'd put in 80% more time for maybe a 5% payoff in ability - ability that would be hard-earned, and only lasts if I continue to put in the time, which effectively robs time from those other things.

So basically I am inspired to practice to maintain my chops so that I don't suck when I gig.

9. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, Guys!

For me the primary motivation is to play beautiful music to which I've enjoyed listening for over fifty years. Having a recollection of listening to particular pieces as a toddler, and then actually playing it in a good orchestra is "mind-blowing". :cool:

Then there's the personal motivation of wanting to be the best I can be. I yearn for the day that I regularly play in an orchestra in which I'm only at 50% of the ability of the best players in the group, so that I can really aspire to greatness. :grouphug: It's somewhat demotivating, alas, to be one of the three or four most comptetent players in a group :shhh:. I always try to play my best, but if the overall group isn't cutting it, it's hard to be as serious as I'd be in the other situation. :evil:

Finally, there is a competitive streak in me. I was in a situation some years ago in a brass band, where there were two of us who both wanted to be principal cornet. :evil: For several years of this we each constantly worked hard at being able to play the hard licks better than the other. :play: Somehow, we both (miraculously) became much better players!!! Funny how that worked!!ROFL

Later!

Guy Clark

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Patrick makes an interesting point. I often think I'd be feeling just like that if I had learned music as a kid and turned out good enough to be a pro.

What motivates me is music. Although I like and would like to play any kind of quality music, I have a special weakness for trumpet and organ pieces. Stuff like this just does strange things to my brain:
    YouTube - maurice andre "marcello- allegro"

In fact, the thought that someone might find it boring or whatever is distressing to me. Makes want to find out what's wrong with them :dontknow:
    Of course, I know that I will never play like that. But the idea that I could at some point put together a decent piece with an organist is a strong motivation. So is all the music out there that I could play if I get just a little better...:roll:

Another motivation is purely egotistic pride: I've started this, I've gone through the process of sounding like a 4th grader while I'm a grown up. As humble as it is, I've put some effort into getting where I'm at, I'm sure as hell not going to stop now. I'll keep working at this until it gets somewhat decent, decent being something that I'll be the judge of. There! :play: