What inspires you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMonk, Jun 2, 2010.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I should probably qualify what I stated above because the way I said it makes it sound like I think that playing trumpet is a chore, or that I don't enjoy playing music. That's not it at all - I've simply moved to a place in life where my life doesn't revolve around playing trumpet like it did when I was in my early 20s.

Part of what motivates me to practice is also being able to enjoy playing so that not only am I not sucking, but that I'm also not struggling to play the material.

Been there, done that, and it's no fun.

Making music is a gas when I'm not fighting the horn or struggling with the lines because I've let my chops degrade too much. At one point I did have to practice some to bring my chops back up to a point where they had been.

So I guess that's motivation too - being able to have fun while making music with other people. For me, that's what playing music has always been about and I have long said that if I ever stop having fun playing, that's when I'll stop playing.

2. philtrpt

philtrpt New Friend

May 4, 2006
    Watching videos of great players. Arturo, Dizzy, Faddis, Bergeron, Maynard, Clark Terry, Phil Smith, Herseth, Stevens, Wynton. I use my theater sound system to get maxium sound.

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Yah! :thumbsup: Can I hang out at your house?:play:

4. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    Listening to others play and seeing great trumpet players in concert. Also when I play a gig I dont want to bomb and think I should have practiced more.

5. Patrick40

Patrick40 New Friend

Jun 7, 2010
    Georgia
    Just listening to music inspires me. But I do have to admit; that ever since I've "comeback" to the trumpet, I find myself listening for the trumpets in every song i listen to now. As soon as I hear "that sound", it makes me want to pick up my horn!
    I'm also inspired by the thought of just being able to create music that comes from ME! An expression of my inner-self, so to speak. I hope to get to the point where when I play my trumpet, I'm not over-thinking technique, nor beating myself up too much; but i'm just letting what i feel on the inside, come out of my horn!

It's a beautiful thing!!!

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Great singers always inspire me .... in any genre, even if it's far away from what I want to do with the trumpet; Aretha Franklin, Luther Vandross, Alison Kraus, and now, since I'm new to jazz, Billie Holliday and Anita O'Day. I'm always noticing similarities between the trumpet and the voice.

7. mrbill00

mrbill00 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2009
    Middle of Georgia
    Group therapy
    Sitting in the middle of the back row, Next to the Euphoniums and in front of the
    percussion section...listening to the harmony's and melody's swirling around me.
    ....makes me want to play better...

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I was always that way, and still am to a degree, but ever since I picked up drums as a second instrument, I also really key in to the drum parts on songs, and how the drummer approached the songs. Sometimes I'll hear something pretty amazing and I'll have to look up who did it.

An example of this would be one day when I was listening to my iPod on shuffle on my way in to work. I always have a bunch of my daughter's stuff on my iPod just in case we're out and about and she wanted to hear something of hers, and in this case it was a song by Aly & AJ. (Michalka - two young Disney actresses/singers) The drummer was just killing it, and I thought, "WOW! I have GOT to find out who that drummer is." Nothing mind-blowing - not like Neil Peart with Rush or anything, but just some really solid, very groovy simple drumming.

After looking him up in the credits, I found out it was John "JR" Robinson. For those who don't know who he is, he's been on all kinds of stuff, but chiefly Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall" album, and he is first call for whenever Streisand or Celine Dion go on tour. He's another one of those unsung, first-call LA Session players.

The same thing happens for trumpet players though. Jon Faddis played a ton of sessions. I could be wrong but I seem to recall that among other things Jon was on the Village People's "YMCA" and Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al," among many others.

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Someone who thinks just like me! I often rub elbows with some professionals and realy great players and sometimes they throw me a bone by helping me to be better too. THAT INSPIRES ME.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Listening to the harmonies my wife ,SIL, and I put together when we're playing together. I seldom get to work with pro's, but do have a few associations that are very satisfying when I do. The hymns and other tunes we work with can be very beautiful..........Buck:oops: