What instrument to use instead of voice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Dutch Guy, Jun 3, 2009.

1. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I'm planning on playing a LOT of songs where I replace the vocals by a music instrument. my question to you is: which instrument would you pick? (don't just say trumpet cause we're on a trumpet forum)

I've been playing the trumpet for about 12 years, but was wondering if another instrument would be more suited for that task. (flugel maybe? cornet? another brass instrument maybe? or woodwind?)

the songs are mostly classical / modern classical songs. (so NO rock ect.) (think Hayley Westenra, musical music ect. ) usually with female voice in the trumpets middle and high register.

I want everyones opinion!

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    Well, I'd say if it were performed by a deeper-voiced person, the Flugelhorn would be more of an appropriate choice as it's naturally got a darker sound. However that's not to say that a trumpet would not be able to do just as well.

It would really have to depend on the piece of music, and who you have heard it sung by.

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Go with the classics: viola, oboe, cor anglais.

4. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands

the kind of songs I want to do are for example:
    from les miserables: 'I dreamed a dream', 'castle on a cloud', 'on my own'
    from enya 'may it be' and another Lord of the Rings one 'into the west'
    search for Hayley Westenra for other examples. that's pretty much exacly what I want.

5. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    Ah, now we're entering the realm of the orchestrator! :-)

There definitely is no "right" answer to this question. It all depends on the style and mood of the music and what emotion you wish to convey. If we're limiting it to soprano brass, then you would generally use trumpet for a brighter sound, flugel for a darker sound, and cornet for something in between.

You might have to experiment a bit to hear what is going to work best for you and the piece. And you might also want to consider using more than one horn. There are many pieces where the player starts with a mellow flugel, and then switches to trumpet as the intensity increases.

6. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    From listening to a few videos on the good 'ole YouTube, it seems to me that any song sung by Hayley Westenra gives me an immediate impression of an Oboe, not sure why, but that's the only instrument I could see that would be able to fit to her voice in the manner that she sings.

From Enya's "May it Be", I feel that a Euphonium would do best to fit her voice and mannerisms. The singer in "Into The West", Annie Lennox, seems to have a rougher voice, and I would probably recommend a Trumpet - especially since about a minute and forty seconds in Lennox seems to get very majestic in the way she attack some of the phrases.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We do not have to apologize because we play trumpet. The goal is to touch the hearts of the audience and a trumpet, cornet, flugelhorn, pic is every bit as suitable as any other instrument - including the voice!

You can experiment with mutes for mood, humming harmony while playing or just playing beautifully. Check out Urban Agnas, trumpet soloist, teacher and coach. He plays a rennaissance piece "Come Away" on the trumpet accompanied by his wife on the classical guitar. If that is not motivation enough, you don't belong here!

8. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    do you mean this one?
    YouTube - Urban Agnas and Sabina Agnas play Come again by J.Dowland

wow, that's very good playing.... I like the way how he has a bit of vibrato in pretty much every note he plays. I have no Idea how to do that, sadly.
    that's the way I want my trumpet to sound.....

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is it. An easy tune that sounds like a million dollars on the trumpet. Urban is a MONSTER as is his brother Joakim:
    YouTube - Urban and Joakim Agnas with PRANA C Trumpets

10. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Something woodwind perhaps... like an oboe.