What is a better choice to ask for on Christmas

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ♠♥CORNET♣♦, Nov 2, 2015.

1. ♠♥CORNET♣♦

♠♥CORNET♣♦ Pianissimo User

Oct 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    Since christmas is coming up my parents have asked me what I want. I said I was still thinking. I own a H&B straight mute, and was thinking about getting a Tom Crown Gemini mute. But then the thought came to me to save up for a new Trumpet. I play a very old Yamaha student Trumpet, with a Monette mouthpiece. I also have a part time job, since I am in high school. What would be a good choice?

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    The new Xenos are nice. Jens Lindeman has done his entire career on Yamahas. You are in New York, the center of the universe. Go try everything.

3. Mellophone Man

Mellophone Man Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    I asked for a motorcycle for Christmas when I was 16 and my Mom said no. I had a part time job as well, so I went and bought one myself in the spring when the snow started to melt:))

4. ♠♥CORNET♣♦

♠♥CORNET♣♦ Pianissimo User

Oct 18, 2014
    New Jersey
    I did not mean to get a trumpet, just some money to save up for it.

5. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Save up for the trumpet- unless your school instructor really cares, you shouldn't have to invest in a very expensive mute.

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Most aluminum mutes get dented and scuffed up due to their harsh working conditions. Most musicians wouldn't dream of throwing their trumpet around and kicking and dropping it, but sadly mutes get little care. I have found that the Bach 2002 Elite straight mute is made of stainless steel and keeps a nice appearance by resisting dents and scuffs. It sounds rich and not buzzy and if you need volume, it can take it without sounding overblown. Not too expensive too. Best wishes.

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    If your currnt horn works use it an save for one down the road. Mutes are fairly cheep so have another to play with don't sound bad

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that the Marcus Bona straight mute sounds fantastic - a bit harder to come by than others, but they can be ordered.

Otherwise, what else do you think you need? Do you gig? Do you own a stand light? Do you have need of other mutes? Do you have stands? Would a gig bag come in handy? What's the budget?

9. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    A very old Yamaha student trumpet with a Monette mouthpiece? Time to save your money for a shrimp.

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    That Budget is the most important right now..

If your horn works for you at the moment, then be reasonable on your Mum & Dad (& Santa, he has to carry it!),
    so I think Patrick is close to what you need to be thinking about, And you know your Budget depends upon how GOOD you've been - so almost too late to get the slate cleaned in November..

I think you need to save for a basic 4 mute kit - Harmon, Straight, Cup and Plunger, The stand light is a good idea, a Good Tuner is always useful (Korg Tuner Metronome TM-50), a Mute stand, a good stage music stand. Maybe a couple of personal trumpet lessons with a Trumpet Guru?

A good horn - save more yourself, and the more you save the better you will appreciate the upgrade.