What is a better choice to ask for on Christmas

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ♠♥CORNET♣♦, Nov 2, 2015.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    One of the best all-around straight mutes is the Denis Wick and it is one of the least expensive good straight mutes.
    An all aluminum one is around $33 for Dillon Music.
    Rich T.

2. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    But the more dents your mute has, the better it plays, right? I thought everyone knew that!

3. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    Agree...the Denis Wick is a good mute...far superior to the red/white ones......

However, the more ensemble playing you do, the more you will see that the entire ensemble needs to sound similar when muted. In our community concert band, there are 9 trumpets and 9 different mute brands. Noone has ever commented that we don't sound together. Because of that, I think it is more a matter of group dynamics and similar articulation....something that is acheived in sectional practice.

Take an emery board and shape the mute corks to your bell...you should be able to pick the mute up from the floor and have it fit securely.

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Maybe the saying goes... "the more dents your mute has, the more time you spend playin in seedy bars." I don't know. I just think durability is always a consideration and my experience with that Bach mute is more than satisfactory. Best wishes.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Durability depends a lot on how they are treated during transport. I had some mutes that were all banged up because my mute/gear bag at the time was just a small duffle, and everything - mutes, stands, valve oil and everything else - was piled into it. They all still worked, so how they looked cosmetically was a secondary consideration.

6. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    Why don't you ask for a Monette trumpet to go with the mpc? ROFL

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Pianissimo User

Aug 27, 2014
    The mute question can be moot, or it can be very important. More than the choice an individual player may want to make or have the funds to purchase, the OP needs to ask his band director what mute the director prefers for the section, so the section has consistent tone color. For example, forty years ago when I was in school, and there were not the plethora of mutes available, my band director had us get the three then-standards: H&B "Stonelined" Straight and Cup, and a real Harmon Wah. I remember one time one player showed up with something different, and the band director wouldn't even let him play the part until he exchanged the mute he purchased for the mute prescribed. Later, in college, aluminum straight mutes were popular and everybody bought one of the same make and model.

So if a mute is on the Christmas list, consult the director for preference. Over time, many players tend to accumulate many mutes because of playing in different ensembles where each ensemble or director has had different mute requirements. Even though I am only an occasional player, I myself have about a half-dozen, accumulated over the decades.

As far as a new horn - does the old one play with good tone and intonation? If so, stick with it for a couple more years to see if you are going to play in college, then you can decide if you want to upgrade the horn.