What is a good valve trombone for doubling?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Mikey, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Hey guys and gals.

It is the middle of winter in Minneapolis, and I am bored silly.
    Plus, I am having some tension in my chops.
    I realize this is a trumpet forum, but I think it is time to get a valve trombone. For those of you who do double on valve trombone, what do you think is the best one out there? Obviously good intonation is a major factor (or as good as it can be on a "cheating" instrument).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

mike

2. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    HAHAHAHA

Mike,

You "must" be bored silly if you're really looking at a valve t-bone?

Best valve trombone, the one under your car tires!!!!! :lol:

PS ... does your boss know you're on the company computer??? :wink:

3. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

I've got a vintage Olds trombone in a little "larger-sized" case than would seem normal.

Inside the case is a cool thing Olds once did . . . it holds a complete "kit" that includes THREE pieces vs. the usual two:

1. Conventional slide unit

2. Valve trombone unit.

3. Bell assembly

The cool thing about it is that a trumpeter can use it as a valve trombone until he/she develops the skills to use the slide!

INTONATION?

1. Pretty darn good used as a valve trombone!

2. Infinitely adjustable as a slide trombone (of course)!

Cool huh!!!

Tom

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Wow TOm!

That sounds like a great horn. Where did you find it?

My goal is not so much to develop slide trombone chops, but to get my chops relaxed on a larger mouthpiece. I figure the valve trombone would be easier and more fun to play. For fun at first..i can't see taking it to a gig and having the "regular" bone players give me a hard time.

But, Iron Mike Bogart uses a Yamaha valve trombone in Tower of Power.......I don't imagine anybody razzes him about it.

Tom, that sounds like a great setup you have. I wish I could fine one. However, it might be easier to get a Bach or Yamaha. Does anybody have any experience with either horn?

Thanks for the sugestions,...................

mike

5. Bill Martin

Bill Martin Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2009
    Id (summer) CA (winter)
    I doubled at dance jobs for 25 years on my Olds valve trombone. Fun to play and very responsive. Great sound, too! Bill Martin

6. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    NECRO POST!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. This thread is from 5 years ago. It's bad netiquette to resurrect a long dead thread.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Why aren't aged, stale threads dumped or archived after X years? Is storage space now unlimited in this day of terraberraspare-a bytes?

My first PC had 64Kb of ram (expanded from the stock 16kb). The first computer I ran programs on consumed an entire 3 story building. Vacuum tubes. Bugs were just that, insects in the works.

Netiquette, schmetiquette.

:soap:

sorry, i couldn't either...
    veery

8. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Wait, are you mad at me, or agreeing with me?

Keeping old threads that have been inactive for years wastes server space, costing the owner money, and making the site slower.

Yeah, my old computer was only slightly better. 64mb of RAM.
    I still remember the big 6" floppy discs that programs came on for my even OLDER computer. Not the little plastic ones. Big paper ones. Math Blaster was like the only game I played. That and Treasure Mountain.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  9. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    But if old threads got deleted after X years, we wouldn't be able to self-righteously tell newbies to use the search function to find innumerable old threads about lead mouthpieces, Martin Committees, how to play high, etc.

10. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    At least they can get archived.