What is a slide trigger?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rickyc, Mar 31, 2007.

1. rickyc

rickyc New Friend

Mar 31, 2007
    What is a slide trigger?

2. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    a slide trigger is a lever on first and third valve slides to rapidly extend the slide for the correction of intonation. The triggers are spring loaded so operation (and return) of the mobile slides is virtually instantaneous.

Triggers are not usually deemed neccesary on most trumpets but on cornets in British brass bands (where they originated) they are vital for contesting at the higher levels as test pieces are often written with purposful traps for unwary cornet sections and adjudicators listen closely for intonation even in running quaver passages.

3. timbo

timbo New Friend

Jan 21, 2004
    Plymouth, UK
    So why aren't slide triggers more common, especially on trumpets?
    I played a friend's Olds Recording recently which had a 3rd valve slide trigger, and found it much easier than the conventional slide ring on my own trumpet. I'd almost be tempted to have mine fitted with a trigger except I don't know where to get it done.
    I find extending my fourth finger out to push the slide out upsets the balance of the instrument, affecting my embouchure, and if I'm struggling with tricky fingering in the right hand at the same time, forget it!
    How do you guys all manage it? Is a trigger worthwhile, or is it something I've just got to practice more?

Cheers,
    Tim

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I find that trigger it is bit trickier for fine intonation adjustments. For bigger movements a trigger seems to be more convenient. But I am sure that one can figure out both with a bit more of practice. I am sure that you can get this done in any good brass repair shop....Will Spencer and Eclipse are good destinations for that. Or ask your local shop about...

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here's one on a first valve slide. Some people like them, and some prefer rings. You push on the trigger, and a rod between the bottom of the trigger and the valve slide pushes the slide out. A spring returns the slide to the "in" position when the trigger is released.

[​IMG]