What is a trumpet maker called? is it good $?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by thEdstr, Jan 14, 2009.

1. thEdstr

thEdstr New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    um what is a trumpet maker called, and wht did they do to be one? like wht did u study in college? engineering? wht type need to kno. i really want to become a trumpet maker. does it make good money? please help me. thanx. -[eddy]:oops::play::-P:shhh::huh:

2. FlugelNoob

FlugelNoob Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2009
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    If you make good trumpet, Im sure you definitely will make good money.

Im not too sure about that, but if you want to make trumpets, you should have studied the trumpet at high levels. If you are talking of a more academic course, the oly thing that comes to mind for me is Precision Engineering.

Oh, and maybe also some music history.

But really, I would try not to make just one instrument. How about getting together a bunch of brassmates and making a company that makes brass instruments, not just trumpets. Well, thats just me.

3. longhorn747

longhorn747 Pianissimo User

Dec 22, 2007
    A trumpet maker is a craftsman. Some of the worlds greatest trumpet makers were engineers. You need to be able to pick up any trumpet and figure out what makes it good and bad, then make a trumpet that is better. That is what most of the worlds greatest trumpet makers did. I have a friend who is also my tech guy, he came from a line of craftsmen, he started to work at the Benge factory in Anaheim, CA with Zig Kanstul in the 1970's, he was 15!! He first started with valves and worked up his way to bells. A real craftsman has to have passion for instrument making.

-LH747

4. FlugelNoob

FlugelNoob Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2009
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    One of my seniors joined a repairing company as an apprentice and has been learning all about instruments for the past few years. He really is good at it, and Im sure it will help you as well.

5. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    A 'trumpet maker" is an artist as much as anything.

It requires methodical work, attention to detail, and care. I'm guessing knowledge of grammar and punctuation would be helpful when corresponding with clients about their needs and wishes.

I doubt any do it for the money - more likely it's the satisfaction of delivering a great product and meeting someone's needs.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Some are called 'Genius', others are just - Wong. ;-)

7. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    I got three different Higher Diplomas in trumpet playing and teaching, as well as a Master in Physical Acoustics (I won the final course 1st Award) and did some masterclasses with some maker.
    Then, I designed some trumpets for an Spanish famous maker.
    Now I make my own trumpets.
    I do my living, but as I have not 1 million to invest, I cannot make 200 trumpets a year (only 50-70). Nothing to do if you want to be rich.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would try to call a successful maker of trumpets a friend. Some have only training in repair, but have great ears, others have degrees in engineering or a large team of mixed skills.

It does not matter what you call them, it matters if you trust them.

BrassOnLine likes this.
  9. John Dover

John Dover New Friend

Jan 13, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Best thing to do if you want to do it is find a way to apprentice or start work with a maker. I know that most people that startout in the biz start doing very remedial work on the instruments until they hone their craft. You might spend quite a while learning how to buff bells before you can do anything else. I have heard it can be quite rewarding though.

Good luck.

10. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Go to repair school to gain basic skills, get a job with a trumpet factory like Getzen, Schilke, Kanstul, Calicchio. Machine and tool and die making skills are good as well. Knowlege of acoustics, engineering, and metalurgy is a plus. The makers you recognize all started in different ways and had different combinations of background. The common factor is a strong belief in their own ideas. The customers will set you know if the ideas are good or not.