What is balanced embouchure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PlatinumPiece, Nov 12, 2017 at 9:21 PM.

1. PlatinumPiece

PlatinumPiece New Friend

Dec 23, 2016
    I see its something about rolling your lips in for high notes, and out for low notes. But is it any good?

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Yes. Those are exercises in the extreme and are simply intended that if you work out playing at the extreme ends, your embouchure will find its own balance of one to another. You play high notes rolled in as far down as you can and rolled out as high as you can and your chops will find their own middle ground.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It would help if you mentioned where you read this (and what they said). Balanced embouchure can mean many things.

4. PlatinumPiece

PlatinumPiece New Friend

Dec 23, 2016
    I saw a video on YouTube() about a person who had practiced balanced embouchure from Jeff Smileys method book. I guess it means to keep the mouthpiece centered on your lips, while rolling your lips in and out to play higher and lower. I ask the question here because I wonder if this can develop bad habits. I see the guy in the video has this super brassy and full sound, but I don't know if I really like that; I like my sound right now.

5. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    To me he does not have a full sound at all. Its too airy and almost pinched for many of the notes especially for upper register. Defintly not a rich full sound. Not my cup of tea.

6. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Could be the internet/computer sound system you're using. It can effect the sound reproduction. I know him and he was the principle trumpeter for a major German Radio/T.V. orchestra. Unless you can play at that level or higher, best not to be too judgmental.

Regarding the system, like previously said, read the book first, then you can give more informed opinions.

7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Check out the oTHer forum. There is a section dedicated to B.E.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Embouchure out of a book? Girlfriend out of the internet? Drivers license cut from the back of a Kelloggs box?

Seriously, when we buy an embouchure book, how do we know that we even understand what the author meant? When it doesn’t work, was it the book, our understanding, the suitability of the method for a particular face/jaw geometry?

I know that there is a strong tendency to assume that “embouchure” is a thing. It is not! It is the result of MANY things. It is a dynamic state that is VERY dependent on the way we use our bodies, tongue and the way that we breathe. To understand embouchure, we need to understand geometry, biology, resonance, flow states, mass. Even then, we cannot make recommendations for someone elses face. The teacher can get lucky, the student can get lucky, or they can both crash and blame it on the other person.

As far as the video goes, what causes his brassy sound? Embouchure, trumpet, mouthpiece, sound concept in his head, body use, breathing? Did the player have a good range and “improve” his tone in the claimed 3 years. Did the player get the high F with a book?

I can safely say that unless we work directly with this guy, in the same room, we will never know. Even if we work closely with him, the knowledge required to sort through what he says, believes and what really happened is not so easy to acquire. Most of the talk is exactly that.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 1:53 PM
  9. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Surely, the book without in-person guidance is incomplete. But why have a bunch of questions, (OP, these are general statements, I'm not picking on you) shooting in the dark without an orientation, on what the subject is in the first place? I see no harm in reading the book, it's just that it should be used as orientation and not a magic silver bullet.

10. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    If you are referring to me, then yes it could be youtube. No it is not my equiptment as i am using custom iems es60 from westone which are around 1300.00. So it is not my in ear monitors. Ad far ad my playing ability, although it currently is not very good as i had a 20 year break due to my military service and injuries sustained to that, before that i was quite talented and playing profesionsly for a couple symphonies and philharmonics in Texas before i joined the Army. So giving him the benefiet of it being a bad recording or an off day, or whatever. It was not very pleasing in that video.