What is 'Flow studies?'

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DiaxII, Apr 24, 2012.

1. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    I don't know what else to add to the title. I found some sheet music for 'Flow Studies' on the web but I don't know what's their purpose. The name of the studies suggests the notes should flow but shouldn't they regardless of what you play? Can I play the C Major scale in thirds (i.e. C-E, D-F, E-G, F-A, etc.) slowly giving each note four bits for instance and call it flow studies with a reason?

2. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Nick Drozdoff has a youtube video where he is playing flow studies. You might check those out. Just type in nick drozdoff flow studies.

3. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Their purpose is generally to make trumpet playing more efficient, atleast that's what I've known them to do. "Long tones with movement"

Urban Agnas has a huge thing of flow studies on Youtube.

Vincent Chicowicz is a good name to check out.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Pick any interval exercises, for example the ones in the first few exercises of Arban's, and slur them slow and bold. Congratulations, you just played a flow study.

Any dipstick can tongue a note but it's a little harder to slur it.

Tom

5. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Thanks for the tips and I also found an older thread with exactly the same question I asked in the 'Similar Threads' below. For some reason I didn't spot it in the search results.

coolerdave likes this.
  6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    My understanding is that Vince Chicowitz didn't see the value in static long tones as much as those which had movement to them so he wrote out such an exercise for his students, which he revised over time, and which became the Flow Studies. They are played in a variety of dynamics and should be played as effortlessly as possible. They build tone, control and assist in building range.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Without guidance, flow studies are the opposite of Articulation studies. Any dipstick can slur, only the articulate can make themselves understood.

8. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Another one of your koans? :D

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    He's funny. Obviously a person needs to learn to articulate. The context was flow studies.

Tom

10. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    OK, Diax II, I was hoping there might be others who know more about this than I, (so I can learn more also) but if not, I'll give it another go. What you have gotten off of the internet are probably the first pages of Chicowitz' book "Flow Studies". The first part of Flow Studies is called "Long Tones" and/or VCI and VCII and there follows a collection of etudes from various sources which were intended to follow through on his Long Tone exercises and concepts. The Long Tones concepts, as I understand them, are to begin in the middle register very relaxed, with a pure sound and with the tone beginning with a proper breath release. Basically, the rest is application.

Recently Studio 259 Productions published "Long Tone Studies" which you might be interested in.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012