What is going on here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cornetguy, Nov 18, 2007.

1. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I cleaned my horns out a couple weeks ago and after cleaning them between my Bach Bb and C three of the valve stems won't take the pearls in them any more. Fortunatly I have a back up Bb and so put the valve stems that will take the pearls on the C. But the interesting thing is the pearls will not fit in the Bb or C , but will in the Bach Eb. Anyone have that happen to them before. The Bb has a sn from 1975 and the C 1985, the Eb 1990 if that makes any difference.

2. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Ummm,

Just curious, how hot was the water you bathed the horns in? Do you think you might have slightly melted those pearloid (plastic) inserts?

Brian

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cornetguy,
    I am not really clear what you mean. Did the genuine, imitation mother of pearl come out of the valve caps or are you having trouble screwing the valve caps on to the valve stem?
    If it is the former, are the "pearls" too big or too little? If too big, fine sandpaper (400 grit) or so can be used to sand them down. Other than that, they are cheap enough from any repair shop. DO NOT GLUE THEM IN WITH ANYTHING PERMANENT like epoxy or superglue. It is no fun grinding the rest out if they get damaged!

4. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    This is strange. Are you saying you mixed up the finger buttons?

5. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    1. The water was lukewarm which is what we are supposed to use for that

2. The finger buttons (pearls) won't go into the stems, the stems that I have on my Bb won't take any of the 9 buttons i have. But the buttons will go into the all the stems on Eb/D and most of the stems on the C. With parts like that I think Bach is like Ford so they are somewhat interchangeable.

I am wondering if the stems somehow got stripped but I didn't have to force any of the buttons off when i was getting ready to put them in the tub.

6. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    Sounds like the threads have been damaged on either the stems or buttons. If you have no experience in thread repair I would strongly suggest you take it to a repair shop as forcing it can make matters worse and quickly.
    Damian

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    OK I think we are talking about the whole valve metal button with thread and the genuine imitation mother of pearl insert.

If they fit before and don't now, then something happened to either the button or stem. If the buttons fit in the C and Eb with no strain, something happened to the stem.

If those buttons were never attached to your Bb, do not assume that the threads are the same. Bach has a lot standardized, but if nothing is damaged and it doesn't fit, it is not the same!

8. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    Im lost :-( :lol:

9. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I never worry about extra parts when I put something back together.... :)