What is going on with my horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mlagatic, May 19, 2009.

1. mlagatic

mlagatic New Friend

Mar 24, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Something strange has been happening on my horn for the past two weeks, and I'm wondering if anyone can offer me any explanations as to what is going on. The horn in question is a Yamaha Xeno 8335 GS that I've been playing on for about a year and a half. The horn has been great..no problems, reliable, never had to worry about it. The horn is well taken care of, cleaned out every month, oiled every day or every other day. Needless to say, the horn is in great condition. About a week and a half ago, I was playing the Hindemith sonata for my teacher and he was saying that my C#'s (4th space) were really sharp when they should be flat... I looked at my tuning slide and it was all the way in...I usually play with it out about a half inch or so..so I pulled it out to where i normally play. Ten minutes of playing later...its all the way in again. Today I noticed the same problem during my graudation ceremony and again during orchestra rehearsal tonight.

Can any one offer me any ideas as to what is happening? I plan on going to Dillon's first thing in the morning to have it looked at and fixed. My second valve is also sticking for some reason, I don't know if that has anything tod o with it. I never place the horn on its second valve slide so I don't have a clue. Thanks for any of the advice.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The slide does NOT move by itself. There is no mechanism for autonomy of the tuning slide.

Either you are pushing it inadvertantly in OR one of your section mates is having a GREAT time at your expense!

Turn a video camera on and then you will have the "problem" documented. Thicker grease would make the slide harder to move.

There is NOTHING broken!

3. mrbill00

mrbill00 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2009
    Middle of Georgia
    try a clip-on clothspin...and you can watch it move..plus, it'll dampen the vibrations..

4. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    You may be leaning or pushing on the slide when you're not playing. OR...are you pushing it in a little when you use your waterkey? If you squeeze between the waterkey and a brace that attached to the horn and not the slide, that could push it in.

5. Richard Gordon

Richard Gordon Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2007
    Deer Park NY
    Hi: Go to your local drugstore and buy a jar of Anhydrous Lanolin. It WIll make your tuning slide very hard to adjust as it is extremely viscous. The jar should last you forever. Good Luck Rich.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I have to agree with Rowuk, someone is messing with you or you're doing it without knowing it. When I was in school I'd have classmates that would put water in my horn so when I'd blow water would gush all over the place and they would pull pranks like moving my slides. Good Luck and great selection of trumpets! Xeno is a fine horn.

7. mlagatic

mlagatic New Friend

Mar 24, 2007
    Northern NJ
    Thanks for commenting everyone. I'm not pushing it accidentally when I play/use the water key/resting, that I know for sure. Surprisingly, I practiced about three hours of the course of yesterday, and just finishing teaching my rounds of lessons for today and the slide was fine. I have been using lanolin on my slides, but I'm still baffled...I'll have to keep a closer eye on my section mates...and yes, the Xeno is a fine line of horns, a perfect fit for me, and for about $600 cheaper than some of the comparable pro horns out there I think it is worth every penny! Have a great weekend everyone!

8. jtbtrumpet91

jtbtrumpet91 Pianissimo User

Jan 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I also play that horn, and I had to switch to a thicker greese about a year ago because I was having similar problems.

good luck

9. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    speak very softly to your horn (in Japanese ) ask forgiveness for being crazy american , burn cherry blossom incense , be sure to read Japanese every night, bow deeply while praising yamaha.

that will fix it , if not glue in place , spank your horn very hard!:shhh:

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Oh, now you're being silly - spanking won't help, but liberal use of the Rattan may. :roll: