What is going on with my horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mlagatic, May 19, 2009.

1. daniel starz

daniel starz Piano User

Jan 11, 2009
    wasilla alaska
    oh thats kinky, really kinky
    but i like it ,
    my son had a yamaha , now he has a hondaROFL

2. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thicker slide grease on the tuning slide should do the trick.

I always use the thick Yamaha slide grease in the "chapstick" type container for tuning slide, 2nd valve slide, and the removable end section of my 3rd slide(not all trumpets have this removable section, your yamaha doesn't so don't look for it). I use really slippery hetman slide oil on the 1st and 3rd slides.

3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009

I'm beginning to like daniel starz........a lot!!!!

And you all thought I hated everything!!ROFL

4. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    And here I thought it had something to do with the reverse tuning slide on my RGS. Apparently it's a problem with RGs too. I believe I was helping to push mine in when I emptied the water. I have now trained myself to put my thumb on the slide brace when opening the water key. I also switched to a thicker grease.

5. SonicBlast

SonicBlast New Friend

May 7, 2009
    Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
    My tuning slide used to fall out of my trumpet, but my band director had a tool that widened the smaller end of the tuning slide, so it fit tighter and didn't fall off anymore.

6. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    I don't understand that... why do people have to mess with our horns? In my school, they pulled my slides and pushed stands into mine, and playing outside they threw grass at it. The one who pushed the stand into it... I got my revenge on him. But yeah, good luck with it. And try to fix it before you have to put money into getting it fixed... unless you don't know what your doing like me :D

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    TM67,
    it comes with the territory. Trumpeters take great liberties trashing the hearing of everybody in front of us. They take other liberties!

8. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Well we trumpets take care of our horns and our fellow brass line horns, but the woodwinds desearve to be burned, I mean who wants to hear a squeak? Though I suppose the woodwinds want to melt down our horns also...OH WELL!!!

9. Heidi

Heidi New Friend

Mar 27, 2009
    Southeast, GA
    I have the same problem as SonicBlast did. My tuning slide would fall out if I didn't pay attention to it. I finally tied a bread tie to the braces and now it stays where it should.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    get a tech with an expander to fix the problem, or use thicker grease.