What is going on????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by justind, May 14, 2009.

1. justind

justind New Friend

May 9, 2009
    Ok I played trumpet for four years (grade 7-11) then quit. a month ago I decided i wanted to play again and rented a trumpet and started practicing. I joined a community band and yesterday we had rehersal, it was the first time I played with them. I was playing a 3rd trumpet part, no notes above a G, but by the end my lips we really tired. (im not sure if this has anything to do with the reason for this post)

today after my sleep my lips felt better again but different, I assumed they were still recoving a little from playing yesterday. they kinda felt smooth or something.

just now I started to mess around on my trumpet trying to play some high notes. I was thinking about how someone said think about whistling. so i tired whistling as high as I could and kinda held my mouth and tongue in place and applied the trumpet. I could squeak some really high notes out but it sounded like crap. Then after some experimenting i discovered that if i changed my embouchure to 2/3 top lip 1/3 bottom lip(previous embouchure 3/5 bottom lip 2/5 top) I could produce a much nicer sound and had waaaaay more control. I used to have a lot of trouble slurring from down to up but now with this change I can go from pedal C to double C and back down easily. before this my highest note i could play was a high C but not with a lot of volume and I had to apply a good amount of pressure. now i don't need much pressure at all. the problem now is I am not very accurate and im not really sure how my tone has changed in the middle register because i was playing with a practice mute. i did take it out and played quietly just to make sure it the mute wasn't the reason for this.

Should I keep playing with this new embouchure and work on my tone and accuracy? am I doing something that I will regret? this feels like such a wild discovery and im very excited, but also afraid I will forget what i was doing tomorrow. or perhaps this is just some fluke?

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Anything new you want to try, you need to do it with no practice mute.

Which notes, are you referring to as high?

Listen to your tone for improvements as you open your jaw an eighth inch, and as you might try extending your jaw forward an eighth inch. It's not supposed to be comfortable at first, neither is the proper golf swing!

3. justind

justind New Friend

May 9, 2009
    I would but I just got home from work and my parents are sleeping in the room above me.

double c

Thanks for the advice

4. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    Your double C or Thee double C? You should read the sticky thread by Rowuk.
    "Double C read this before posting anything about high notes." Double C seems to have two meanings for some.

5. justind

justind New Friend

May 9, 2009
    roger. I read that post as soon as I joined. I'm talking about Thee double C. its doesn't sound very good but its a double c.

6. justind

justind New Friend

May 9, 2009
    P.S. I forgot in my post to mention how long I have stopped playing for. its been 6 years. I don't think it's really relevant but I'm adding it to make my post complete.

7. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    well, if it doesn't sound good don't keep playing it. Third trumpet parts in the community band have many in the low register, so, stay down there. Your lips are tired from the low frequency response buzz going on in the mp cup. They feel smooth because (yuk) you buzzed off a lot of dead skin cells!

8. justind

justind New Friend

May 9, 2009
    The double C doesn't sound very good but my high C sounds better and is more effortless than ever. I think the lips being smooth is more of the reason for my increased range but the embouchure change is allowing me to go from low to high and back much easier. I think :dontknow:

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Justind,
    short term changes are probably not significant. Unless one has very thin lips, the "standard" embouchure has all of the red vertically in the mouthpiece cup. That determines the "natural" proportions of upper to lower lip. Rolling one lip in to make room for changes (something I suspect that you are doing) may make it presently easier to squeak things out, but you are in for BIG trouble with flexibility as there is no mechanism to unroll the lip to come back down from the high note.

My suggestion is to stick to the tried and true path - practice, long tones lip slurs and tons of music. Your natural earned ability is your signature. Consistent and reliable!!

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Oh yuk, and that's now where - exactly - in the trumpet? Eeeeeyoouuu! :noway: Oh ----just wash it willya?:huh: