What is happening to me!?!? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter3197, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Just with trumpeterjake's last post in mind have a look the "Tone is getting progressively worse" thread to see the problems a good palyer is having with playing lead

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

A lead player will always sound best after a couple days rest...

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've been playing quite a while, and while I concur that you seem to be pushing yourself too hard and tearing down what you develop, I might suggest that you phase your practice with play alternating with equal rest periods. Truthfully, I now play 30 minutes and alternate rest 15 minutes, and average only 2-3 hours of playing in a day (actual lip to mouthpiece time).

4. Trumpeter3197

Trumpeter3197 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    Thanks to all of you very much for the helpful replies. I have started toning it down as some of you have suggested, focusing primarily on quiet playing, some in the mid register and a LOT in the pedal register, also focusing on minimal pressure and practicing for short periods of time. Is there anything additional I should be doing, and/or when and how should I transition back to range building?

5. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    Just be sure you enjoy what you're playing! So many people forget that and give it to competition or to there band director that tells them they should be "this good" or that they need to switch mouthpieces or whatever. Don't do range building and technical studies all day. Find a song that you like that includes those things in it! Only PART of your practices should be techical stuff and range building. You gotta' play a actual song too! haha =D

6. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    hope that helped...