What is intonation?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, May 10, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Yu have the Northern Hemisphere models ..... trade those up overs for down unders. Either that, or it's a conspiracy.

Personally, I don't think machines can be trusted (except trumpets of course).:dontknow:

Turtle

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Aaaahhhhhhhhh, now both the tuners AND the 1st chair trumpeters are playing with my mind - I've got it, I will put the tuners in my undies drawer, and I'll play louder than that bloke on 1st. Call me Action Ted - yeeehaaa. .......................... Yes, I've been drinking :-P how did you guess?:dontknow: :oops:

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Learning to lip the note is valuable. The slides only work when your sharp.

I played a job with a guy last week. He was using a stock Bach C trumpet.
    I watched him play when he had solos. He player D first valve and E open. I asked how he was able to play those notes in tune. He said he just got used to it.

4. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Yep, I've been playing for 45+ years, and never got comfortable with using the 3rd-valve slide. Nearly always lip up or down, but I play almost exclusively in the jazz/funk genre. I suspect classical applications might be a little more precise?
    The advent of the "lever & spring" tuners have made it a bit more comfortable for me (my Lawler flugel has one), but old, old habits are hard to break...

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I had it drummed in to me by my teachers - use your slides whenever possible. .
    What do you do when you are using a mute that is quite sharp, such as a harmon mute, and you are sitting on 1-2-3 and/or 1-2 valve combinations? How far are you going to have to lip it down? A half-step?
    Yes, there are times lipping down is required but a slide needs to be moved as often as possible.
    Watch one of the greatest trumpeters of all time use his trigger on a scale.
    YouTube - ‪Rafael Mendez - Flight of the Bumble Bee & Mexican Hat Dance‬‏
    There is also a youtube (Hindemith's Music for Strings and Brass) where you can observe Bud Herseth using his 3rd valve slide. He is shown moving it in at approximately 45 seconds in. The switch to his hands is not quite quick enough to see precisely where he had it out. A concert C perhaps? (The brass playing in this video is staggering)!
    YouTube - ‪Hindemith conducts Hindemith (vaimusic.com)‬‏
    Rich T.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I rarely use the alternate fingerings on my Bach C. I found that using a fairly shallow mouthpiece like a 3C makes those notes a little more sharp, and lipping them very slightly (like you're used to doing on a Bb) makes them play in tune.

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    My instructor told me never to use "false" fingerings, and insists that I play E open and not with first and second valves, because they are probably not in tune.

I feel like the first and second valve combination for E will probably be in consistently better tune in all keys, but that some times especially in the key of Bb all valves open will sound better.

8. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    One size does not fit all. As you progress as a player you will find what works for you in your situation. Of course, don't argue with your teacher.

9. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    ok so its sumer break so i won't have an ensembles to play with and sadly I don't have money for private lessons. Would my best option to force a friend to play with me if I wanted to improve my listening skills?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Never say never or you set yourself up for defeat. You instructor therefore will be defeated. There are time's when shakes are much easier and fluid in using false fingerings, this is ESPECIALLY true in shaking the C (O to 2,3); C# (1,2 to 2); B (2 to 1,3) or A (1,2 to 3) above staff. When in the stratosphere range, the 1,2 A has more controllable intonation as 3 and the 2,3 Ab as 1. I believe with the intonation of the notes so close in the stratosphere range, playing anything more than an open of single valve fingering opens one up for intonation problems.

Last edited: May 20, 2011