What is intonation?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, May 10, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I just read what rowuk wrote and it sound reasonable. So I did play passages with the 12 and 3 fingerings. The 3rd valve attack sounded flatter. The brassyness, no difference. The fullness, no difference. The roundness, no difference. The volume with identical air force, no difference. Bottom line, intonation, different, tone, no difference.

Tomorrow, I have a rehearsal with two music faculity at the University of Dayton. I will ask them to make the same comparison. I will post their comments as well.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    cool gmonady ... how about a c played open and then 2+3 ... G open then 1+3 ...

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    For me, it works better on smaller trumpets. B-flat, not so good. It starts to work on my C.

4. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    When I first learned of intonation is was by tuning the guitar strings. You could actually tell if you were in tune by the wavelength of the harmonics. It enabled me to tune a guitar without a pitch-pipe. In the trumpet, I find a similar correlation with the sound or tone of a not and its harmonic wavelength. The principal trumpeter would lead us in tuning-up, and usually had a better ear, for tone or pitch problems. It always helped to liste to yourself and the others around you; as well as, being humble to make corrections. My teachers always said, 'It is the tone that was the most important.
    Thanks for this discussion.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ok, both faculty at the University of Dayton, Department of Music commented on my A - 1,2; to 3 false fingering. Both said they heard the difference in intonation, but the tone quality was unchanged. The actually felt the false fingering sounded more pure, in tune and prefered this to the traditional 1,2 fingering.

So the experiment finds all 3 in favor that it was the intonation that is changed, not the quality of the trumpet sound. Now of course, I played this on the Olds Recording, only the best instrument constructed by mortal man.

6. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Looks like I'm going to have to study more! Thanks again, for this information and topic. Anything that can make us better musicians.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Its interesting that earlier you heard it as flat but the teachers thought it was more in tune.
    Sometimes, when you are playing alone, you have to think about where you are coming from. If the note before the A was a D, that would make the flattened A sound in tune because the D is a little low.

Everything is relative to what else is going on.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    so playing 1 valve (3) was prefeered over playing 2 valves (1,2) ... less valves ..hmmm

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I played the same phrase leading into this note for that very reason. I thought just hitting A, A, A, would not be as revealing. Same phrase, one time ending in the 1,2 valved A, the next using the 3 valve A.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, and what a problem I have caused as they now want to promote using the 3rd valve A in the upper register. One is a keyboard player, the other a bassist, neither of which have trumpet experience. And they are professors at the University of Dayton. So see what this experiement has done? Students on trumpet leaving the U of Dayton will now be playing 3rd valve upper register As. Thanks guys for recommending this one! You have once again turned the trumpet world onto it's head [well at least for one note].