What is intonation?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, May 10, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

My condolences for your tough morning ..... ROFL

Turtle

Wow, the smilie dudes are all in step, like synchronized swimmers.:lol:

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    And in tune!ROFLROFL

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    If you are in a group of other players, putting a tuner on your stand is pretty much pointless.
    How do you know the tuner isn't picking up someone else? How good is the mic in the tuner?
    How does it react to loud sounds? What note are you in the chord?
    If you can't play in tune and are beyond a beginner or intermediate, please do everyone a favor and get off the stage and practice until you can play in tune.
    Use your ears to tune in a group. If they can't play in tune and you can, play in tune and to heck with them.
    Strong words? Yes. There is nothing worse than playing with a hack musician (on any instrument) who can't play in tune. Fix it.
    Rich T.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thats what you get with a cheap clip-on tuner. They SAY it only picks up what it is clipped to, but my experience shows otherwise, Mine also uses batteries like nobodies business. I stopped feeding the monster.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I think the consensus is that if you have perfect pitch it still needs to be trained. IE people aren't born with a concept of a twelve tone scale A=440, but some people may have great trainers all there lives and still not have perfect pitch.

Most musicians would prefer relative pitch as a skill, since they will be able to go to Europe and not get sea sickness listening to the sharp tuned A=443 orchestras.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree!:thumbsup:

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Thanks. I knew a state champion singer with perfect pitch. She couldn't stand listening to a guitar that was tuned to itself without a reference.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Years ago (in the 70s), I knew an amercan opera singer at the Stuttgart Opera with perfect pitch A=440. She had a really rough time. The orchestra tuned down from 443 to 440 once as a joke. What an experience. This lady became unleashed. The next rehearsal, everything back to "frustrating".................

9. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Well, to a certain extent I agree with you. The club and dive audiences were and remain a breeze generally. The weddings, parties and commercial gigs more challenging personally.

By far the worst were the benefit concerts with other musicians and scholars in the audience. That brought all my old insecurities and past failures to the fore, it was hellish.

But I was younger then and less secure in my own persona than now.

This is not at all to suggest that I'm a better or more flexible player now, far from it! I simply care less how I'm perceived by others.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's Awesome!! ROFLROFL